• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Discomfort with taking deep breaths?

sillysocks84

@oceiv that's interesting that all that can effect the ribcage. I got a massage today actually and she worked on my lymphatic system. My armpits always have lymph nodes. I wish I could take the breaths I used to take. Can you give a little more information on what that treatment was called or how it was done?

oceiv

@sillysocks84 I hope the massage helped you.

More info on my treatment: It was by a physical therapist. She was familiar with ME/CFS. I went to her for head, neck and facial pain,t hough her treatments helped also my ME/CFS symptoms. Some physical therapists (PT) do gentle adjustments. My PT did only Other PTs focus only on stretching and exercise. A little explanation by WebMD:

Chiropractors use some of the same techniques as physical therapists. Gentle adjustments may help restore normal neck function and help alleviate pain. As with physical therapy, chiropractors manipulate the neck and thoracic joints to reduce stiffness, improve mobility, and increase range of motion. These adjustments might be unsuitable and potentially risky for people with vascular problems in the neck, such as carotid artery stenosis, or advanced osteoarthritis.

My PT did very gentle adjustments to my cervical spine. They resulted in the equivalent of a non-force chiropractic adjustment. Non-force chiropractors adjust your spinal misalignment without pain and those traditional popping/cracking/neck-twisting motions associated with traditional chiropractic methods. Non-force chiropractors use many different methods in their adjustments.

PTs likewise use many different methods of adjustments. I will try to get more info on which adjustment method she used. I've been to two other PTs who did adjustments. This one had the gentlest method. Gentle or non-force adjustments are important because although forceful adjustments work temporarily, the body's instinct is to fight back. Forceful adjustments adjustments often result in a boomerang effect; the spine tends to instinctively move back to its misalignment, quickly.

Some of other treatment modalities she used were working with me on posture of the neck and extremely gentle myofascial massage. Some myofascial massage is very painful. This was a no-pain method.

Spinal adjustments of the neck work further down the spine because the rest of the spine reacts to the change at the top.

next week, I will try to get info on the name of the adjustment therapy, . Welcome to the forums. :) I'm new-ish here myself.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

One can also google "breathlessness thyroid" or "breathlessness anemia".

My dr explained to me that before becoming hypothyroid there usually is a hyperthyroid spike, and breathlessness is one of the symptoms. This matches to my experience, and strangely my lab results never showed any alteration from the typical subclinical hypothyroid.

oceiv

Hi again, @sillysocks84 The adjustment method my PT used was called Strain-Counterstrain or Positional release. Both PTs and non-force chiropractors use this method. You just need to call around to find the gentlest treatment. My main spinal problems were in my neck. But others may have spinal misalignments anywhere along the spine. Also used was myofascial massage.

From wikipedia:

Within manual therapy, Strain-Counterstrain is a type of "passive positional release" created in the early 1960s by Lawrence Jones, D.O. It is a hands-on treatment that alleviates muscle and connective tissue tightness by the use of very specific treatment positions held for 90 seconds (can be held for up to 3 minutes in neurological patients).[citation needed] During the procedure, the involved tissue is "slackened" causing a relaxation of the "spasm" which, in turn, allows local areas of inflammation, trapped within the painful tissue to dissipate. Following this "release" there is an immediate reduction of pain and tension in the involved tissue. This relaxation helps restore normal joint mobility and is also beneficial to other structures in the region that may have been compressed. This gentle and painless technique is a very effective treatment for a wide variety of orthopedic conditions such as headaches, fibromyalgia, sciatica, tendinitis, chronic neck pain, and post-surgical conditions.

Thanks, everyone, that's all really helpful! I got dx'd with mycoplasma pneumoniae about a month after posting this, so now I'm looking into that..the first round of antibiotics doesn't seem to have done much. I also did a SPECT scan that was interpreted by a psychiatrist who strongly urged me to go see a very specific (and hard-to-get-to) chiropractor b/c he thinks my neck needs adjusting. I'm a bit more skeptical about that, just because it felt like that was this psychiatrist's pet theory, but I'm looking into that as well.