• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Disablism in the lives of people living with a chronic illness in England and Portugal

Dolphin

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09687599.2016.1181048

Disablism in the lives of people living with a chronic illness in England and Portugal

Ana Bê

Faculty of Education, Centre for Culture and Disability Studies, Liverpool Hope University, Hope Park, Liverpool, UK

ABSTRACT This article is based on research about the daily lives of people living with chronic illnesses in England and Portugal. Through the first-person narratives of participants, I argue that the lives of people living with debilitating chronic illnesses are affected by disablism, discrimination and exclusion. These aspects affect them in several important realms of life such as lack of or poor social support, difficulties in obtaining reasonable adjustments or the inability to obtain any kind of state support at all. These aspects are also widespread and compound and greatly influence their lives, beyond or in addition to the physical experience of the illness itself. I conclude that it is fundamental to change these structural and policy aspects and that people should have access to what I have termed a paradigm of sustained well-being, despite the illness.

Points of interest

• People who live with chronic illnesses such as fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis can experience many difficulties in their lives that go beyond the symptoms they feel in their bodies, and this is illustrated by several stories from people who live with these illnesses.

• These complications can be different from country to country and they depend on the kind of help that is available in the form of social benefits (or lack thereof) or whether the law offers people some or little protection.

• These external factors have a great influence in people’s lives and well-being, and should be looked at in a serious way because they can make the difference between someone experiencing very difficult situations (such as having no job, no help and

Dolphin

The article is based on the author’s research about the daily lives of people living with a chronic illness, in particular people living with fibromyalgia (FM), chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) and multiple sclerosis (MS).
However it only contained 6 quotes in total so I don't find it a great resource to quote from.

It highlights people's difficulties obtaining disability payments. Also in Portugal they have a system where only specified conditions qualify and chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia are not on the list.

It also discusses how employment accommodations are not mandatory in Portugal. An example is given of a woman who was doing physically demanding work before she became ill who wanted to switch to another job within the company but the company did not accommodate her.

Last edited: