• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Different results of genetic mutations

Nanni

I have taken my 23 and me results and used genetic genie, dr.lynch’s, and Amy Yasko’s to get my snp mutations. I have gotten different results. Has anyone else had this happen. Who do you trust most?

Richard7

Hi Slugger.

If you go to promethease https://www.promethease.com they are currently doing reports for free. (until Jan 15)

Promethesase links in with SNPedia and SNPedia links back to studies in PubMed so you can get a better idea of the research behind Yasko's and Lynch's opinions.

(Assuming that the differences you are talking about are differences in opinion about what the SNPs mean.)

alicec

Different results could mean different reported SNPs or it could mean different interpretation of which is the "risk" allele for a particular SNP.

Genetic Genie tends to report on the SNPs that Yasko is interested in and there is no particular rhyme nor reason to why she chose those SNPs.

She makes a variety of claims for the SNPs she favours but there is little evidence to support most of these claims and in some cases these is evidence to the contrary.

A few of the SNPs do have some effect but most are largely irrelevant.

Yasko is most definitely not a reliable source of information.

I am not familiar with all of Lynch's Stratagene report because I was not willing to pay money for something that I know includes at least some wrong information.

You need to understand that just because a variant SNP is identified doesn't mean there is any consequence. Most do nothing. Any report identifying variants should be able to show the research associated with the variant so you can assess what the SNP means.

There are a couple of programs which rank SNPs according to research and which cost little or nothing. You could look at Promethease or Enlis. Keep in mind what is known about the SNP. If it has no effect on the protein product of the gene it is much less likely to be doing anything (there are some exceptions to this but it is usually for combinations of SNPs).

Even if the variant causes a protein change this might not have much consequence. You need to look at the research to see if changes to activity have been demonstrated.

A few association studies between the SNP and some disease condition also may not mean much, particularly if they were done some time ago before it was recognised that large numbers and robust statistics are needed for association studies to have significance.

Nanni

Different results could mean different reported SNPs or it could mean different interpretation of which is the "risk" allele for a particular SNP.

Genetic Genie tends to report on the SNPs that Yasko is interested in and there is no particular rhyme nor reason to why she chose those SNPs.

She makes a variety of claims for the SNPs she favours but there is little evidence to support most of these claims and in some cases these is evidence to the contrary.

A few of the SNPs do have some effect but most are largely irrelevant.

Yasko is most definitely not a reliable source of information.

I am not familiar with all of Lynch's Stratagene report because I was not willing to pay money for something that I know includes at least some wrong information.

You need to understand that just because a variant SNP is identified doesn't mean there is any consequence. Most do nothing. Any report identifying variants should be able to show the research associated with the variant so you can assess what the SNP means.

There are a couple of programs which rank SNPs according to research and which cost little or nothing. You could look at Promethease or Enlis. Keep in mind what is known about the SNP. If it has no effect on the protein product of the gene it is much less likely to be doing anything (there are some exceptions to this but it is usually for combinations of SNPs).

Even if the variant causes a protein change this might not have much consequence. You need to look at the research to see if changes to activity have been demonstrated.

A few association studies between the SNP and some disease condition also may not mean much, particularly if they were done some time ago before it was recognised that large numbers and robust statistics are needed for association studies to have significance.
Thanks for all the great information. It reminded me that we all have a built in diagnostic mechanism, our intuition. I have been mostly successful at getting aha insight about what I sense isn’t going to help but the more I learn the more gets eliminated. I really lost confidence in myself after I got sick. I had never felt so lost. I thank this forum for some very healing support.

Nanni

Hi Slugger.

If you go to promethease https://www.promethease.com they are currently doing reports for free. (until Jan 15)

Promethesase links in with SNPedia and SNPedia links back to studies in PubMed so you can get a better idea of the research behind Yasko's and Lynch's opinions.

(Assuming that the differences you are talking about are differences in opinion about what the SNPs mean.)
Thanks for the information about Promethease. I love free.