• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Different effects of different Vitamin C brands

outdamnspot

Hi,

Has anyone here noticed different effects from different Vitamin C brands? It's the only supplement I can really tolerate, and it helps me sleep, though it has to be time-release.

I've tried: Natural Factors, which also contains Bioflavonoids and Hesperidin. I find this brand a bit more 'adrenaline-y' .. it can increase anxiety the next day, but also gives me more mental energy and helps my ADHD a bit.

Source Naturals, which contains Rosehips. This is a lot more calming and seems to active my parasympathetic system more the next day; it's less helpful for attention etc.

I've guessed that it's the additions to the brands that might be responsible, e.g. the Hesperidin etc.? Though I'm not too familiar with what these things do individually.

Has anyone noticed different effects from other brands? I'm about to re-order, so was curious (though as I say, it would have to be time-release, since regular Vitamin C does nothing for my sleep).

pamojja

Use only pure crystalline ascorbic acid powders. Because I take it high dose, tablets or capsules and especially time-release would give too much fillers and binders for my taste in the long term. Though do have many benefits, the different brands aren't any different to me.

Sundancer

Use only pure crystalline ascorbic acid powders. Because I take it high dose, tablets or capsules and especially time-release would give too much fillers and binders for my taste in the long term.

same here, but I've gone over to a version with added flavonoids and think it is better for me. Do not remember what the difference was I must admit. maybe a bit less prone to histamine problems