• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did you get sick from SIBO herbs

ebethc

Before he took it, we hadn't heard anything bad about it, either. In fact, I was under the impression that it's actually quite a good treatment for SIBO.

We later learned that Rifaximin kills off both bad and good E. coli, and his good E. coli was likely really low to begin with. After he did a good course of Mutaflor (E. Coli Nissile 1917) he got MUCH better. It took us awhile to even get a grip on what the problem was and we didn't realize the Rifaximin was actually contributing to the problem.

I'm glad to hear you're doing better.

How did you discover that rifaxamin killing the low E. coli was the problem? One of the most frustrating aspects is poor diagnostics... so many ch is trial and error

ebethc

Yes, I think all of those things can help to some degree. Ultimately, the underlying cause needs to be treated. That's why my number one priority is treating the dysbiosis, everything else I do is lower on my list of priorities.

For some reason in the last 3-4 days, I am feeling very good! I'm not quite sure why. It could be that I am almost finished my second round of Rifaximin. I took one course about 2 months ago, at 400mg, three times a day for 10 days and I am 12 days into my second course, which is 15 days.

The other thing it could be is that I started to take niacinamide (B-3), to boost my NADPH levels, NADPH is crucial for mito function. I started taking 10-20 mg a few days ago and within 30 minutes I started to feel a lift in energy and more clarity of mind. Whatever is causing me to feel so much better is very welcome and I hope it continues!!:)

What do you take besides rifaxamin to treat dysbiosis?

Niacinamide is excellent! Good for arthritis & cognition

Basilico

Florida
How did you discover that rifaxamin killing the low E. coli was the problem? One of the most frustrating aspects is poor diagnostics... so many ch is trial and error

Yes, the poor diagnostics is a major problem. We didn't figure it out until his GI system improved dramatically after a long course with Mutaflor, and then later reading about how Rifaximin kills off all E. Coli (good and bad). We are assuming this is what happened, but we don't know with certainty.

ebethc

I'm also taking 500mg a day of berberine, 250mg of cinnamon, 2 oil of oregano softgels, 500mg of amla, 2,400 mg colostrum and 275mg lactoferrin, I think that's all.:D Lactoferrin is good for the immune system as well as a good antimicrobial.

Does berberine kill bad bugs?

ljimbo423

Does berberine kill bad bugs?

Yes it does- here is a list of herbs and how effective they are against different bacteria from Ken Lassesen's blog. Enjoy!:)

screen-shot-2015-12-30-at-4-21-34-pm.png

LINK

ebethc

Yes it does- here is a list of herbs and how effective they are against different bacteria from Ken Lassesen's blog. Enjoy!:)

screen-shot-2015-12-30-at-4-21-34-pm.png

LINK

I was just looking at that!

Ken L noted elsewhere on his blog that berberine is NOT recommended for CFS, but I don't know why... I think @Hip mentioned that it's not great for mitochondria, however mercola says it's good for ampk, which seems good for energy production, so I'm not sure what the proverbial bottom line is for me... I've used it briefly in the past and didn't notice any deleterious consequences and did notice some positive things, so it's probably fine for short term use for me personally... still, I'd like to know the "cons" for CFS

ljimbo423

I was just looking at that!

Ken L noted elsewhere on his blog that berberine is NOT recommended for CFS, but I don't know why... I think @Hip mentioned that it's not great for mitochondria, however mercola says it's good for ampk, which seems good for energy production, so I'm not sure what the proverbial bottom line is for me... I've used it briefly in the past and didn't notice any deleterious consequences and did notice some positive things, so it's probably fine for short term use for me personally... still, I'd like to know the "cons" for CFS

I also have mixed feelings about berberine. I am slowly transitioning to other herbs, because it might be causing mito problems. Although like you, my experience with it has been positive so far. If you find more info on the cons of berberine, please share.:)