• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did trip to dentist have anything to do with developing CFS / ME?

RYO

It is probably just a coincidence but I know several people who developed CFS or autoimmune disease within 1 month of having dental work completed. A dental equipment sales person once told me that many dentists do not sterilize drill bit in between patients. Any others with similar experience?

Wayne

RYO, another PR member started a thread (wish I could remember the title and/or author) in which he believed he acquired a serious infection at a dental office, giving him a myriad of gut issues. He mentioned that most of the employees at that office suffered from similar afflictions. --- I've seen many reports of dental offices often lacking the most basic hygiene, making it a dangerous place, especially for people with compromised immune systems.

lansbergen

It is probably just a coincidence but I know several people who developed CFS or autoimmune disease within 1 month of having dental work completed. A dental equipment sales person once told me that many dentists do not sterilize drill bit in between patients. Any others with similar experience?

The infection I suspect is found in toothpulp and sterilizing does not eliminate it.

Dan_USAAZ

My ME started within a few weeks of the first time I had cavities drilled and filled by my dentist. I noted this suspicious timing about 12 years ago and had all my mercury amalgam fillings removed. I also did a round of chelation supplements at that time. Sadly, no improvement.

shah78

It could be the epinephrine in the lidocain . To certain people, it can blow out your adrenal glands. It happened to me. Demand no epinephrine. Dentists and physicians don't like it as much. Too slow and doesn't stop bleeding as well. Just be insistent.. It really messed with me.

caledonia

Dental offices are a minefield. Mercury fillings or other toxic materials. Nitrous oxide (gas). Infections. Epinephrine.

I can trace my first bout of ME/CFS back to getting my wisdom teeth out under general anesthesia.

On the bright side, I saw a study recently where tooth enamel can be regrown with a combination of stem cells and lasers. Maybe we will all be doing that one day instead.

Dan_USAAZ

@Dan_USAAZ I had my amalgams removed and then did DMPS chelation and it didn't help with my fatigue at all. It did help with my MCS and equilibrium issues

Sounds like we followed a similar path in regard to our dental fillings. Fortunately, I have very minor MCS and I can easily manage it. Very happy to hear you had some improvement in those areas.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Dan_USAAZ That was an unexpected surprise. In fact, before I saw the guy who did the chelation, I didn't know I had MCS. I would have total melt downs in grocery stores and doctors offices. I thought it was panic or something. It was pesticides and cleaning products.

Dan_USAAZ

On the bright side, I saw a study recently where tooth enamel can be regrown with a combination of stem cells and lasers. Maybe we will all be doing that one day instead.

This is of interest to me, as my enamel is in very bad shape. I take excellent care of my teeth; don’t grind, wear night guard, don’t chew ice, low acid diet, etc.

Still the enamel is deteriorating.

Hopefully this will evolve into a treatment in our lifetime.

knackers323

I did have some non mercury fillings done about two to four weeks before I got the major stomach cramps that started my cfs.

Is the new stuff (whatever it is) they use for fillings now, toxic or can cause health issues?