• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did Darwin Have ME/CFS?

Wayne

Just ran across this relatively short article. It sure sounds like he suffered from it for many years.

Did Darwin have ME/CFS?

Charles Darwin lived in miserable health and debilitating fatigue until his death at the age of 73. It is quite ironic that one of the most recognizable names in the history of science, famed for his theory on “the origin of species,” was baffled by the origin of his own affliction.

Darwin’s physical dysfunction was at times so incapacitating that it caused him extreme depression as well as a dying sensation. In his 50s, Darwin also experienced transient, yet immobilizing, paralysis with exertion in addition to frequent memory loss and difficulties in verbal expression—not unlike what is referred to as post-exertional malaise and “brain fog” in ME/CFS vernacular.

... An English psychiatrist, Dr. John Bowldy, concluded that Darwin’s illness must be psychosomatic! Bowldy argued that Charles was still grieving the loss of his mother, who passed away when he was 8. Yet historians never described a grief-stricken Darwin, nor did he in his own autobiography.

Instead, what was verifiably documented is a slew of physiological and biochemical abnormalities like dysotonomia, visual disturbance, gastric dismotility, abdominal pain, muscle wasting, lactic acidosis, peripheral neuropathy, tachycardia, dizziness, seasickness, nausea and severe headaches. All clinical manifestations that bear striking resemblance to the spectrum of ME/CFS symptoms and associated morbidities including POTS....​

Last edited:

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Very interesting. It seems likely that he would have picked up some nasty bugs along his extensive 5 year observational journey.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
CDC should get a Darwin award:

Claim to be a centre of disease control, then not control disease, by allowing pathogen spread in ME/Chronic Lyme by forcing patients to have a diagnosis of this CFS. A disbelieved condition they created using no tests based on tiredness, that their employee Stephen Straus, was on record stating talking to Fukuda about CFS, that by making CFS, this was the best political outcome.

Political outcome to what regarding a disease control? Hmmm... Have a guess.

A Darwin award alright, with the CDC still stubbornly supporting Fukuda CFS criteria that lead to now tens of millions being infected with the pathogen in ME/Chronic Lyme, whilst patients are still told to do CBT/GE due to having chronic fatigue syndrome, when they don't have CFS but ME and Chronic Lyme- doh!

For those who don't know CDC deny Chronic Lyme exists and stay silent on ME. Think why.

Last edited:

alex3619