• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diatomaceous earth - who has used it, and with what results?

sianrecovery

A therapist has recommended food grade diatomaceous earth to me as a means of dealing with parasites etc.

Anyone any experience? Last time I used it was to get rid of bugs in my flat...

thanks

Sian

I think if you know what parasite you have-- that's ninety-percent of the battle.

If you know-- than I would suggest looking at the best specific treatments for that parasite. DM is usually only
effective on various worms, I think. If you know or suspect a type of worm, as far as I know it's definitely one of
the more safer treatments. But DM alone often isn't enough even if it is just worms. In fact I think just tracking your
symptoms may be the best gauge to tell whatever treatment is working.

GracieJ

Haven't used diatomaceous earth, but have used bentonite clay, if you want to hear about that. Let me know.

xrayspex

I would like to hear about bentonite clay. Is that safe and low side effect? I have some DE I have put off using and alinia as well putting off......cant afford to feel worse right now.

GracieJ

For years, I tried to cleanse and/or detox with every natural recipe or health food store product I could find. Even mainstream doctors told me my system was sluggish and toxic, a word you seldom hear out of their mouths. Every attempt failed mainly because of hypoglycemia issues at the time. I just could not stick with a program for more than 3-4 hours without just feeling awful. Enter bentonite clay. It is a little nasty to get down (it is, after all, CLAY), but the effect was incredible. It is a little hard on the tummy if you do not drink enough water, but other than that, I felt no differences or side effects. Bowel movements may change... no bentonite clay ever is absorbed into the body, so it ALL comes out! After a couple of days, I felt clean and light like I had not in years, and many FMS and CFS symptoms were either eliminated or minimized. Continuing to take it daily for a while was a challenge due to the "yucky" factor... started putting it into very large gel capsules and swallowing several with a couple of glasses of water. Bentonite clay is my favorite detox, very gentle and mild and highly effective. I take it for a few days at a time about every other month or so.

I was looking up the differences between diatomaceous earth and bentonite clay the other day when I came on this thread, as someone had told me they are one and the same. They are not the same, but I understand there is a lot of similarity in action. One is from once-living organisms, diatoms, and one is volcanic ash. Diatomaceous earth sounds a little more... aggressive? maybe... must really get after the parasites.

The physical properties of bentonite clay had never been explained to me before in terms of negative ions, so I found this site and its links extremely informative. No wonder it worked so well for me.

http://www.naturalnews.com/clay.html

Very curious now about diatomaceous earth! Will stay tuned.

GracieJ

It is usually sold as Indian healing clay, or for facials, bee stings, etc. It may say on the jar "For External Use Only" which covers the FDA rules, something actually in our favor at this time. Any health food store should carry it. There is also a good liquid form by Nature's Sunshine. It is expensive but a little easier to get down.

Look for calcium bentonite rather than sodium bentonite.

If you cannot get yourself to ingest this, consider clay baths:
(Contain the clay and do not let it go down the drain, potentially causing plumbing problems.)
http://www.naturalnews.com/022674_clay_body_water.html

A guide to choosing clay products:
http://www.naturalnews.com/025053_clay_healing_bentonite.html

xks201

D.Earth is the shiznit. Best parasite killer ever and I bet 50% of the people on here at least would feel 50% better at least using it daily.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
D.Earth is the shiznit. Best parasite killer ever and I bet 50% of the people on here at least would feel 50% better at least using it daily.
XKS what other things have you found are good for the little critters?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
For years, I tried to cleanse and/or detox with every natural recipe or health food store product I could find. Even mainstream doctors told me my system was sluggish and toxic, a word you seldom hear out of their mouths. Every attempt failed mainly because of hypoglycemia issues at the time. I just could not stick with a program for more than 3-4 hours without just feeling awful. Enter bentonite clay. It is a little nasty to get down (it is, after all, CLAY), but the effect was incredible. It is a little hard on the tummy if you do not drink enough water, but other than that, I felt no differences or side effects. Bowel movements may change... no bentonite clay ever is absorbed into the body, so it ALL comes out! After a couple of days, I felt clean and light like I had not in years, and many FMS and CFS symptoms were either eliminated or minimized. Continuing to take it daily for a while was a challenge due to the "yucky" factor... started putting it into very large gel capsules and swallowing several with a couple of glasses of water. Bentonite clay is my favorite detox, very gentle and mild and highly effective. I take it for a few days at a time about every other month or so.

I was looking up the differences between diatomaceous earth and bentonite clay the other day when I came on this thread, as someone had told me they are one and the same. They are not the same, but I understand there is a lot of similarity in action. One is from once-living organisms, diatoms, and one is volcanic ash. Diatomaceous earth sounds a little more... aggressive? maybe... must really get after the parasites.

The physical properties of bentonite clay had never been explained to me before in terms of negative ions, so I found this site and its links extremely informative. No wonder it worked so well for me.

http://www.naturalnews.com/clay.html

Very curious now about diatomaceous earth! Will stay tuned.

http://bulkherbstore.blogspot.com.es/2009/11/dermographism-what-on-earth-is-that.html

Yeah im gonna use clays etc soon. And I know of one more person with chronic health problems who felt much better on green clay.

GracieJ

I'm really, really big on detoxing. It has helped me more than anything else, I believe. Have been following this thread with avid interest, hoping to hear firsthand stories on DE. I might have to volunteer as a guinea pig and report back. A clean system runs better. It just does.

After reading about DE, I had to try it.

I read to take MSM with the DE, and I did. The MSM is supposed to make your intestines "slippery" if I remember correctly. I didn't take other detox herbs with them.

I mixed the two powders with fruit juice and did it twice a day. (I don't usually drink fruit juice, they have too much sugar and the juicing process destroys many nutrients. I needed juice to hide the taste.) They taste bad and you have to use a lot.

I just mixed them with a spoon. A blender may be better. I tried to hide the powders in smoothies but it made the smoothie bad, so I preferred it with juice, and to quickly drink it down, and wash it down with something good.

Started with a lower amount and increased quickly. I only lasted a couple days, then I took days off, and restarted. I did about 8 days straight and stopped.

I don't know if it rid me of parasites. I did not look in the toilet. I thought it was worth trying. I wanted to take it for 10 days, but it was a bit difficult for me to take.

I had only minor side effects. A little dehydrated feeling? I think you need to drink extra water. And sort of a "clearing out" intestinal feeling.

If you take too much too quickly, I believe you could get pretty bad cramping and diarrhea?

By the way, you need food grade DE. And you must be careful not to inhale it, or have it on surfaces where pets could inhale it. It can cause big problems if inhaled.

Ayaju

I really appreciate all this information. For years and years I've wondered about parasites. Had no clue if I have them, and certainly no doctor I know will even discuss parasites let alone try to help you find out if you have them! But I've had this question in my mind for all this time, and when I saw this thread appear in my inbox, and watched the video, etc., and saw how inexpensive DE is, I ordered some. I'll muscle test it before taking it, but I have a feeling it's going to do no harm and possibly help me.

Thanks friends, Judy :)

Wayne

XKS what other things have you found are good for the little critters?

Hi Beyond, I grew up with a story about how my grandfather got rid of a tapeworm using pumpkin seeds. When I did a search of "Pumpkin Seeds for Tapeworms", I came up with links to several medical journals dating back to the mid-1850's. Below is just a handful of those links:

Northwestern medical and surgical journal, Volume 12

Boston medical and surgical journal, Volumes 46-47

The New York medical times, Volume 3

Medical brief, Volume 7

Eclectic medical journal, Volume 36

Each article seems to have a slightly different variation on the pumpkin seed protocol, but they all seemed to be equally effective. It appears that pumpkin seeds may not kill the tapeworm per se, but temporarily paralyzes it. When this happens, it is not able to cling to the intestinal wall, and is fairly easily flushed out with a kind of purge, such as castor oil or epsom salts.

Given how easy it is to pick up a tapeworm, and how difficult it is to get an accurate diagnostic test for it, it sounds like an occasional pumpkin seed remedy for possible tapeworms would make a lot of sense. You can do the pumpkin seeds on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, and do a purge a couple hours later. Apparently, pumpkin seeds are used extensively in China for all kinds of different parasites. It's on my agenda to give it a try. Sounds benign enough, even for my sensitive system.

Wayne

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
For what is worth, with my GIO earthing bracelet came some free DE. I didn´t notice a thing from it.

I know Wayne, I have even tried putting pineapple and papaya seeds in the blender. It made me dizzy, maybe some detox? Haven´t tried the pumpkin seeds though, although I think they work similarly (i.e.paralyze the critters). I don´t really think I have a parasitic problem at this point.

Wayne

Directions for Taking Diatomaceous Earth Orally

Dosage and Mixing
  • Individual dosages vary. Manufacturers recommend one heaping tablespoon daily. Reports run the gamut between a heaping teaspoonful in a smoothie two to three times a week to a tablespoon each morning and evening with water. Take into account your size, weight and desired result. As with all new health routines, proceed cautiously. There can be health problems associated with evacuating too many parasites too quickly from your body.
  • When mixing your D.E., remember it is texture and weight, more than taste, that will pose the challenge to a smooth mixture. Some people use a blender to get a smooth drink. D.E.'s taste is virtually undetectable, extremely bland, sometimes described as chalky. It is easy to whisk a teaspoon to a tablespoon into a small glass of water and chug it down. Expect a clay-like texture that varies in consistency depending on the amount of water you use.
  • Try adding it to a blended drink. D.E. is similar in weight to protein powder and will mix easily into your blended concoction. Diatomaceous earth can be used in conjunction with other parasite cleanse products or on its own to maintain your system's health.

Ayaju

Hi. I've started taking 1T of DE at night. Haven't noticed anything yet except for a tiny bit of stomach queasiness right after.

Interesting about the pumpkin seed protocol. I wonder how someone would know if they have a tapeworm and how they get them?