• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diabetes Meds

JAH

Hi Everyone,

In Ron Davis’ last update, he mentioned that the metabolic signature of ME/CFS looks a lot like diabetes. And he knows of a physician using metformin. Has anyone tried metformin or another diabetes med?

Thanks,

JAH

alex3619

Metformin is exactly what you do NOT want to use to treat ME. Its a mitochondrial and PDH inhibitor. When I tried it again a few months back several handfuls of skin on a damaged leg just died. I still have a leg ulcer that will not heal. The issue is that Metformin and many of these drugs do NOT treat diabetes, but treat elevated sugar levels, a consequence of the diabetes mechanisms. We need to address the core mechanisms.

JAH

Metformin is exactly what you do NOT want to use to treat ME. Its a mitochondrial and PDH inhibitor. When I tried it again a few months back several handfuls of skin on a damaged leg just died. I still have a leg ulcer that will not heal. The issue is that Metformin and many of these drugs do NOT treat diabetes, but treat elevated sugar levels, a consequence of the diabetes mechanisms. We need to address the core mechanisms.
Really sorry about your leg- hope it does heal soon.

Thanks for your feedback, all the best.

FMMM1

I'm glad to see this topic covered. Ron Davis mentions a doctor who's trying
Hi Everyone,

In Ron Davis’ last update, he mentioned that the metabolic signature of ME/CFS looks a lot like diabetes. And he knows of a physician using metformin. Has anyone tried metformin or another diabetes med?

Thanks,

JAH

I'm glad to see this topic covered. It will be interesting to see whether this physician has any success with this drug.

Alex, hope the leg heals.

Ema

I agree that metformim is a bad choice in our population.

However, a ketogenic diet is useful in pyruvate dehydrogenase complex deficiency diseases by boosting the TCA cycle activity.

I believe this is a solid work around with much mostly unexplored potential in MECFS as an alternative fuel source to glucose that also reduces lactate.

It’s certainly been the most effective intervention that I have tried.

There’s also some possibility that DCA could work but the side effect profile is a bit worrisome in terms of (mostly reversible) neuropathy. I tried it briefly but never got up to a therapeutic dose.

hangininthere

I take Metformin for my Type 2 Diabetes the past 5 years. Nearly the highest daily dose.

It hasn't helped my CFS.

I noticed at first that it seemed to calm my bipolar a bit, kind of like a mild tranquilizer. I googled it and saw it can do that.

A bad effect I have, though, is that it has seemed to cause muscle wasting in me. I'm so much weaker, even my hand grip is very weak. I googled that too, and it can do that.

The muscle weakness happened after being on the Metformin - 15 years after I went CFS bedridden - so I know it's from the Metformin, not just from the deconditioning.

Patti

Last edited:

FMMM1

Bit rushed here ---

Check out Health Rising there's due to be a drug trial i.e. targeted at the HPA axis.

Jonas Bergquist is doing an OMF study on steroids.

Both of the above are being run this year; so maybe we'll have something more.

Don't know if the above fits with this drug i.e. if this drug has any effect on the HPA axis.