• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

detox to lose weight

hurtingallthetimet

has anyone ever tried anything to detox to lose weight? ive seen the colon cleanse things in stores and thought about getting to try to lose weight..but i have ibs and not sure if i should do something like that..

anyone tried any cheap home remedies to cleanse and lose weight?
ive heard detox/cleanse can shed pounds..

I believe toxins can definitely make you gain weight. When I had active Celiac disease (didn't yet know), I gained about 30 pounds. It was about half water weight and half fat, by my estimate. I think my body perceived gluten as a toxin, or perhaps it was compromising my ability to excrete other toxins. I quickly (within 2 months) lost all of that weight after I really started to heal (which took about 4 months after going gluten-free).

I have also recently gained back about 15 pounds that I can't seem to lose regardless of diet and exercise. I seem to, once again, be having trouble excreting toxins. My body definitely can't excrete estrogen and my doc has a hunch that I'm having trouble detoxing in general. She ran the NutrEval on me which assesses detox pathways to some extent, so we'll know more when I get those results back.

I have read that when the body is dealing with toxins that it is unable to excrete, it retains fat cells and water in order to dilute the toxins as much as possible. I don't know the mechanism behind that, but anecdotally, I believe it.

Calathea

Detox methods promising weight loss are usually iffy in the extreme. Eat a generally healthy diet, and if you want to try losing weight, go for one of the trusted methods such as calorie counting. Our bodies are under enough strain with ME without adding drastic measures which would probably just make us more ill. From what I remember of what you're handling at the moment, it sounds like you may have enough on your plate right now without trying to lose weight as well. Perhaps save it for a time when things are more settled?

As for cheap, buying colon cleansing remedies is not cheap because it costs money! Calorie counting using free dieting software is not just cheap, it's free. I've lost a quarter of my body weight and am finally back to the weight I was at during my early twenties without spending a penny on cleanses or detox whatsits. But as I said, it may not be the best time for you to undergo anything dramatic. Maybe try tracking what you eat for a week, and then noting down any patterns to see if there's anything it would be relatively easy to address? Eating at more regular hours is usually good for us ME folks (that plus being aware of what I ate were the main things for me - I'd totally lost track), and skipping the junk is often wise as well. A friend of mine who also has ME has lost about 55lb by cutting out cakes, chocolates and sweets. She's too ill to cook and doesn't have support in the home, so she's simply buying lots of frozen ready meals. Yes, they're processed, but they're a lot better than what some of us end up eating, and they're calorie-controlled which makes it simple for her to manage. It's not been easy, deliberate weight loss is never easy, but it has been relatively simple for her.

I've been thinking that it would be good to have a thread for those of us who are deliberately engaging in weight loss, incidentally.