• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Detection of MLV virus in Epstein Barr virus positive B Cell line...

currer

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22238296?dopt=Abstract

Who says MLVs cannot replicate in human cells?

Four B-cell lines infected with MuLV.

"....Further investigation revealed that MuLV transcription in JY cells is highly active. We also identified a number of MuLV alternative splicing events and we uncovered evidence of APOBEC3G-dependent DNA-editing.

Finally, RT-PCR analysis showed the presence of MuLV in three other human B-cell lines (DG75, Ramos, and P3HR1 Cl. 13) commonly used by investigators in the Epstein-Barr virus field....."

(E-pub ahead of printing.)

natasa778

Oooooh, but no need to worry, APOBEC is here to protect us from any naughty MulVs should it think of infecting a living human!

(just look at the great job it does in protecting us from HIV :rolleyes:)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
its just all mass hysteria and we shouldnt test for these viruses because they are expensive, we need to exercise more.

YEAH RIGHT!
lol.

EBV keeps popping up doesnt it, theres more to this virus then they really know about.

cheers!!!

Jemal

I find it scary that these MLV's are hanging out in quite a lot of these human cell lines. That research has shown that some of these cell lines are highly infectious and that infection was spreading to other tissues in labs. And that many scientists were unaware these cell lines were infected. I know this is not evidence that these viruses are also infecting humans, but it makes you wonder...

I saw on the other forum that it was already known that one of these cell lines harbored a retrovirus, though?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9770427

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22238296?dopt=Abstract

Who says MLVs cannot replicate in human cells?

Four B-cell lines infected with MuLV.

"....Further investigation revealed that MuLV transcription in JY cells is highly active. We also identified a number of MuLV alternative splicing events and we uncovered evidence of APOBEC3G-dependent DNA-editing.

Finally, RT-PCR analysis showed the presence of MuLV in three other human B-cell lines (DG75, Ramos, and P3HR1 Cl. 13) commonly used by investigators in the Epstein-Barr virus field....."

(E-pub ahead of printing.)

Yeh, how amazing is that... despite evidence of A3G editing, virus still spreads. Surprise, surprise. Anyone who says that because of A3G, we don't get MLVs or MRVs is not talking science.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Look up "confirmation bias", then take a look in a mirror.

Tony, do you have access to research that conclusively and demonstrably shows that A3G shuts down MRVs completely in human tissue (in or out of the body), other than the research that shows it 'limits' it? Because the above study certainly shows that it doesn't.

By the way 'limit' does not mean stop, but is an admission that it doesn't do the complete job, that the spread is retarded, and only in cells where A3G is present and only during transcription. MRVs can spread via cell mitosis, in which case A3G does not get involved. Are you saying this is not the case?

None of the studies I have read have admitted that MRVs/MLVs are stopped completely by A3G. Some studies have surmised that this does happen, but only because they haven't found the virus, and only because A3G can be shown to 'limit' the virus.

Firestormm

I don't have the full paper but does it rule out contamination? Would be my first thought. Second thought would be 'So what?' as MLVs have not been discovered in humans let alone linked to human disease. Nevertheless an interesting finding I should think.

Happy though the read the full paper and obtain several points of view before making any conclusions from this. Christ! I'm still digesting the Coffin and Pathak Macaque study. Don't know how you guys manage to read and digest whole papers let alone interpret them sometimes.

Esther12

well gee wonder why so many of us got EBV and CFS at the same time!

I'm pretty convinced by the evidence against an association between MLVs and CFS (or at least, against the work that claimed there was an association)... but there have been tantalising things which could have meant an association made sense. There was another paper on (what was then) XMRV and EBV a while back (I don't really understand this new paper).

The other thing is, MS research on immunological responses to EBV have been indicating another range of plausible explanations for the fact that CFS is so often triggered by glandular fever. EBV is just a right cheeky bugger.

currer

There are many tantalising leads, Esther, I agree with you.

I hope research into MLVs and human diseases can continue so that we can explore this. There are certainly a lot of co-incidences.
These cell lines are passaged in mice and seem to pick up MLVs very readily.

It shows that MLVs have a propensity for human tissues, if these infections spread so readily in the lab.