• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Depression) "Psychotherapy [CBT] is Becoming Less Effective"

Dolphin

I don't have strong opinions about CBT for depression (unlike CBT for CFS which I believe is generally based on a very flawed model of the illness).

Anyway, somebody drew my attention to this and I thought I'd post it in case it was of interest to anyone:

Thursday, July 02, 2015
Psychotherapy is Becoming Less Effective

Is psychotherapy becoming less effective? A major study says yes, at least for CBT.
http://asserttrue.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/cognitive-behavioral-therapy-is.html#

Now comes word that CBT's effectiveness has been going down continuously for the last 35 years. According to a meta-analysis by Tom J. Johnsen and Oddgeir Friborg (2015), which looked at 70 studies from 1977 to 2014, effect sizes based on Beck Depression Inventory scores have fallen by half since the first studies were done. That's a pretty huge drop.

alex3619

I think this has something to do with bias in small early studies, but this latest one controlled for that. The problem still persists.

I wrote this comment on this paper elsewhere:

Given that outcome measures are typically subjective, and CBT might well alter how many patients fill in questionnaires, this might be a shift back toward its true effectiveness rate (which might be worse than zero) as people see through the gloss and babble. I do think CBT can help some to some degree, but its overhyped, oversold, etc. Who those some are, and to what degree, is still not being properly studied. It may even be nobody.

Psychiatry will not advance as a science until objective measures are used. Even then entire methodological systems have to be abandoned, and psychiatry evolve to modern use of the scientific method. Until then much, if not most, of psychiatry, and probably all of psychogenic medicine, will remain dubious alternative medicine that has wormed its way into medical doctrine.

More and more patients and prospective patients are better and better informed. Psychiatry has not only lost its gloss, its becoming visibly more and more tarnished. Fixing this will require a shift of the basic paradigms used in psychiatric practice and research. It will require a shift from dogma to rational practice.

out2lunch

Before my endo problems were diagnosed, my depression (from undiagnosed fibro) was treated with CBT. The therapist was well meaning, but worthless for dealing with anything other than transient sadness like grief. Needless to say, my physical problems only worsened over time, which only resulted in guilty self-shaming for not "trying harder" to get better. Thank goodness a supervising psychiatrist with orthomolecular training intervened and sent me to an endocrinologist for diagnosing.

Physiological depression from a chemically induced metabolic imbalance -- you know, the stuff that effects us -- will never respond to talk-talk therapy. And thanks to the hyperfocused budget cutting monkeys in 21st century healthcare management, far too many patients will be tossed into the CBT Thunderdome for treatment, essentially abandoned for the sake of lower costs.

Immoral doesn't begin to describe it.