• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Decreasing Vitamin C - Need Advice Please

Jennifer J

Hi, Everyone.

A doctor years ago recommended for me to take 1,000 mg Vitamin C in the morning and another 1,000 mg pm. I believe it was to help with my chemical sensitivities and because I live next to busy streets and a freeway. (I'm breathing in lots of black dust, even with a fairly good quality air purifier,)

I haven't, and I'm not able to get back to see that Doctor. I need to give samples for a test over several days to rule out something medically. I was reading the instructions and it said not to take over 500 mg of Vitamin C a day for a period of time before and during the sample collection.

My question is, I'm not sure if I need to titrate down over a period of time the Vitamin C, or what is the safest and best way to do this. I don't have another Doctor I can see at this time that I think is knowledgeable enough with supplements to advice me.

Is anyone knowledgeable about Vitamin C and dosing down after years of using 2,000 mg a day that can help me?

Thank you for anything you can share.

Last edited:

PeterPositive

You could simply suspend the vitamin C for the necessary amount of days, or keep the dose at 500mg as explained in the instructions.

There is no risk in lowering your vitamin C intake.

cheers