• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

David Tuller - Trial By Error, Continued: A Follow-Up Post on FITNET-NHS

Cheshire

Last week’s post on FITNET-NHS and Esther Crawley stirred up a lot of interest. I guess people get upset when researchers cite shoddy “evidence” from poorly designed trials to justify foisting psychological treatments on kids with a physiological disease. I wanted to post some additional bits and pieces related to the issue.
[...]

From reading the research of the CBT/GET/PACE crowd, I get the impression they are all in the habit of peer-reviewing and supporting each others’ work. I make that assumption because it is hard to imagine that independent scientists not affiliated with this group would overlook all the obvious problems that mar their studies—like outcome measures that represent worse health than entry criteria, as in the PACE trial itself. So it’s not surprising to learn that one of the three principal PACE investigators, psychiatrist Michael Sharpe, was on the committee that reviewed—and approved—Dr. Crawley’s one-million-pound FITNET-NHS study.

http://www.virology.ws/2016/11/28/trial-by-error-continued-a-follow-up-post-on-fitness-nhs/

slysaint

On ECs FITNET leaflet:
"Also, the whole point of clinical trials is to find out if treatments work—in this case, whether the online CBT approach is effective, as well as cost-effective. But the leaflet is essentially announcing the result–“recovery”—before the trial even starts. If Dr. Crawley is so sure that this treatment is effective in leading to “recovery,” why is she doing the trial in the first place? And if she’s not sure what the results will be, why is she promising “recovery”?"

Very, very good question:thumbsup:

Barry53

ME/CFS BPS effect in a nutshell ...

http://www.virology.ws/2016/11/28/trial-by-error-continued-a-follow-up-post-on-fitnet-nhs/

upload_2016-11-29_22-46-35.png

http://quillette.com/2016/02/15/the-unbearable-asymmetry-of-bullshit/
As the programmer Alberto Brandolini is reputed to have said: “The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.

actup

Superando el SFC/EM
a day ago
It's amazing to see how easily you can shut the mouths of this kind of pretentious "doctors" that won't hesitate to earn fame and $$$$ at expense of innocent people's health (and what is worse, at expense of children's health).

I'm a member of the spanish #millionsmissing team (#millonesausentes) and we would love to translate all your awesome articles about the PACE case and now FITNET (I heard some are calling it SHITNET??) so please, if there is a way we could translate the great tools you've created to defend pwme from harmful ideologies and practices in the medical community, let me know!

SHITNET- how very appropriate Superando el SFE/EM. Loved this comment on David Tuller's 11/28 blog post