The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

David Tuller needs our help

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, May 27, 2017.

1. Sean

Sean Senior Member

It's a fine cross-cultural line that Tuller has to negotiate.

But the bottom real-world line remains that the BPS cult must be stopped, and held to account. Sooner is better.

Mary, Starlight, Jo Best and 4 others like this.
  2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    The value in writing to the legal counsel is to have a record (now public) of David's attempt to resolve Crawley's accusation.

The non-answer provided by the lawyer - is not unexpected and would have been anticipated - and provides further evidence of the ongoing dismissal of serious concerns over the 'research' and behaviour of Crawley (and by extension, U of Bristol).

From that perspective, David just added another stick that will break the camel's back.

Barry53, MEMum, Mary and 18 others like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It also makes sure that the university is on notice regarding Crawley's behavior, and offers facts which she'd likely be omitting if discussing it with the administration herself.

Barry53, Mel9, MEMum and 16 others like this.
  4. adreno

adreno PR activist

I agree, Tuller likely expected this. What he is doing is exposing and documenting the establishment web that supports and protects the bad science of the BPS cult.

Mary, Sea, Jo Best and 13 others like this.
  5. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Another possible beneficial effect of the proactive approach taken by Tuller is that the university would now run the risk of looking rather absurd were it to send the "cease and desist" letter which was half expected. They have lost the initiative. The "never retract, never explain, never apologise" approach has its limitations.

Binkie4, MEMum, Mary and 7 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    The legal department at Bristol University will have assessed the chances of being sued by David Tuller as close to zero, and decided to have a bit of fun winding him up. They knew when they called him Mr Tuller that he'd rant about it on his blog, and they probably had a good laugh at it in the coffee break.

I've done it myself - I once drafted a writ and added "a married woman" after the defendant's name on the front just to piss her off. "Lawful widow and relict" is another nice option.

I think David Tuller probably knows what he's doing and what to expect too, but he needs to make sure that it's not Bristol University yanking his chain and distracting him into responding to their petty slights.

7. mango

mango Senior Member

Orla, Solstice, slysaint and 13 others like this.
  8. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

9. Starlight

Starlight Senior Member

I am definitely going to put a donation in for this last 5000. It is great that it is this close to the goal. It is an awesome task he is taking on. The Bristol arrogance is so typical of the attitude that needs to be shattered. Dr.David Tuller is one brave man and thankfully he landed in our camp.

MEMum, Mary, lilpink and 16 others like this.
  10. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Bump! We are past 55,000$
    Be part of history ( or help kick the BPS lobby out of ME) and donate for a very good cause.

Dolphin, Binkie4, MEMum and 12 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

Donated again -to the crowd rise site at the beginning of this thread. Hope that attracts the tripling by Erica Verillo.

I so want the BPS school off their lofty perch.

Dolphin, Jennifer J, MEMum and 9 others like this.
  12. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Post by David Tuller on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/david.tuller.1/posts/10154418937321829

Mel9, Dolphin, mango and 30 others like this.
  13. adreno

adreno PR activist

Very good to see the goal reached.

Dolphin, Jennifer J, MEMum and 4 others like this.
  14. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Well done everybody!

Dolphin, mango, Jennifer J and 5 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yay team! :woot: :balloons: :woot: :balloons: :woot:

:hug: for everybody.

I will keep donating until the end of June.

A more permanent donation fund might be a good idea, so that we don't have to rush it again next year. The only issue with this funding appeal was the short time frame, not the total amount needed.

$5/week = $260/year. If 230 of us can do that then Tuller's basic ongoing funding is covered.

:thumbsup:

Mel9, Dolphin, mango and 13 others like this.
  16. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Very limited access at moment but good to hear David will be tackling Cocrane, which feels to me a review which itself a exhibits the same flaws as what it reviews. Another leg of the table to be sawn off.

Dolphin, mango, Jennifer J and 6 others like this.
  17. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

David had committed himself to working on this project for a year. I don't think we should make any assumptions about what he is willing to do after that. I hope he can achieve lots of his goals in a year. But I do certainly think it's worth contributing more to the fund so he can travel more etc.

Dolphin, mango, Jennifer J and 10 others like this.
  18. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway

Tuller wrote himself:
    Any additional funds will be used to extend my Berkeley appointment proportionally beyond next June 30th--for a month, two months, or whatever.

So @Sean 's idea is not bad. Now that one year is secured, maybe a prolonged/permanent campaign could add a few extra months.

mango, Jennifer J, MEMum and 8 others like this.
  19. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Ditto.

Dolphin, mango, Jennifer J and 3 others like this.
  20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Happy to be guided by Mr Tuller on this.

Dolphin, mango, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.