International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

David Tuller needs our help

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, May 27, 2017.

1. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

It's quoted above.

The problem is it doesn't add up.

It says the triple matching campaign will end when 10k is reached.

Jennifer J likes this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Yeah, I saw that. My guess we be that she was more sure that 5k was her maximum, than what total that would lead to. If we push for other to raise the other 5, we'll have reached the 60k target. Regradless, it sound like good news as we push for the final 10k.

Jennifer J likes this.
  3. Wolfiness

Wolfiness Activity Level 0

UK
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

OK, I have just sent 149 emails to the email addresses in the first link.*
    It would be good if somebody else could do the second list. There are likely to be quite a lot of duplicates but that is less of a problem if a separate person is writing so I don't think people need to compare the lists before writing.

* I didn't do Republic of Ireland and overseas. It would be good if somebody also did the overseas ones. If you search around, you can probably also find a lot more than those that are on this list.

screenshot of highlighting David Tuller's appeal.JPG

Tally, Starlight, Daisymay and 16 others like this.
  5. Wolfiness

UK
    $51,875
    I think we're about $800 away assuming the tripling funds haven't been added yet. :)

Mel9, MeSci and Esther12 like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Sounds like that was a maximum of $5k though.

7. Wolfiness

UK
  8. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Let's not make any assumptions about the tripling donations offer, and whether the extra is being added as donations come in or at the end. And whether the maximum Erica has offered is 5000 or more.

If the total end up higher than 60000, David Tuller will use the extra for travel and other expenses. I think the 60000 is the minimum needed to get him the officially agreed post at the university including things like health insurance. More is better.

Orla, Kati, Jo Best and 7 others like this.
  9. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation of the numbers @trishrhymes. I wonder if you have to access Crowdrise via the Prohealth.com website to ensure the trebling. That's the way I'm going.

Would IiME be able to accept gift-aided donations for him, or towards expenses travelling over here etc? to maximise donations. @Jo Best

10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Yes, it would be amazing if the total ended up even higher than 60 000. As Tuller wrote himself:

- If I top the goal, I can invest some of that in more travel—to Australia, for example, or more countries in Europe--to do in-person interviews and research into local situations.

Imagine that! If Tuller could do more travelling and investigate the international impact of the PACE-trial further.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Starlight, Hutan, mango and 2 others like this.
  11. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

$52,480 raised so far.

mango, Jennifer J, AndyPR and 2 others like this.
  12. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

I'm sure it includes all donations to Crowdrise and that ProHealth was just used to help spread the word of the matching offer rather than as a referral link.

I can't speak for them but my gut feeling is that as IiME have so much else on at this time after the conference, on top of the usual charity work, that the total for the crowdriser will be reached by the time they could organise or manage earmarked donations coming in and it might just complicate matters. $52,790 and rising..

Starlight and MEMum like this.
  13. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Actually, having read the Prohealth site again, I think I may have got the numbers wrong. The main thing is we keep donating.

14. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member

I think your explanation is right, but the example given by Prohealth of how the tripling works is wrong. "If you donate $25, for example, she will kick in $75" - that would make $100 dollars, which is a quadrupling of the original donation. I think the example should read "If you donate $25, for example, she will boost that up to $75".

Even without the tripling, the total seems to have shot up by about $4,000 since I last checked 24 hours ago, so it's having the desired effect...

Mel9, MEMum, Daisymay and 6 others like this.
  15. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Well done Tom, I've sent out emails to English ME support groups on the MEA list and European charities from the European ME Alliance, hope it helps.

MEMum, Jo Best, slysaint and 13 others like this.
  16. Jennifer J

Jennifer J Senior Member

Southern California
    Bump.

A reminder, and for everyone who was away this weekend and are catching up. Please help David help us with however much you can and ask others too, it will be tripled. Thank you! :)

https://www.crowdrise.com/virology-...fs-and-related-issues1/fundraiser/davidtuller

17. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    http://www.virology.ws/2017/06/19/trial-by-error-continued-university-of-bristol-responds-sort-of/

Open the link for the full response.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Mary, MEMum, SamanthaJ and 23 others like this.
  18. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

Thank God for David Tuller.

It is so good to know there is someone who will respond to these rebuffs, not be defeated ( or exhausted), and ' fight the good fight'. ( I seem to have become biblical).

Another ( small) donation coming.

Mary, MEMum, Jennifer J and 10 others like this.
  19. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    What did he expect?

She is paid by the University of Bristol to represent their interests, of course she's not going to write anything that would in any way acknowledge wrongdoing by her employer, or concede any point to Dr Tuller. She'll switch her brain on when it reaches the point that her employer is being sued, not before. Until then it's all just hot air, which she'll put in the file and "note". Of course she's not going to respond like an impartial, fair-minded observer. That's the judge's job, if it ever gets that far. Sue Paterson is a salaried lawyer for the opposition.

Huge fan of David Tuller, but he might like to have a chat with one of his legal friends about how these things work.

Barry53, Esther12, AndyPR and 2 others like this.
  20. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

@TiredSam

Am sure David Tuller knows very well how these things work. Part of his strength is he doesn't care to follow the rules. The UK Establishment needs tackling by someone not playing by Establishment rules which ensure they ( the Establishment) always win.

EDIT: a couple of words for clarification

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Barry53, Mary, MEMum and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.