Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

David Tuller: My brief encounter with Prof Crawley

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Nov 20, 2017.

1. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Wonder if this is happening?:

[​IMG]

Or maybe children have an instinct for wanting to head from evil people - the same way one's dog or cat runs away (or growls at) an evil stranger.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. TreePerson

TreePerson Senior Member

U.K.
    @Countrygirl Your account is really very funny!! Or would be if it wasn't at the same time horribly depressing.

It's terrifying that she can talk such complete and utter crap but by including phrases such as "gold standard treatment" an audience of presumably intelligent people are completely hypnotised.

I don't blame the children for hiding. She'd have me hiding behind the sofa.
    I'm like you in that sometimes she seems so disturbed I feel sorry for her. But at the same time there is something quite malevolent about her, she literally makes me feel sick. Who did she blame for the fact that they hide btw? The parents?

3. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    No, she didn't blame the parents, strangely. She probably realises they are too stoned on drugs as they struggle to cope with their poverty and social inadequacies to take much notice of their ailing off-spring.

I think she was hinting that she has made the astounding discovery that children aren't as keen on technology as we all thought.

There is probably a paper in the pipe line.

4. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

This is no surprise this is the tactic such people have always used, instead of addressing their critics claims (that would just shine a light on the claims) they just keep you fire fighting by pumping out more and headline grabbing crap so that you cant keep up. They "win" by pumping out hundreds of soundbites.

ladycatlover, Mel9, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  5. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Yes she'd make a really good politician

6. Countrygirl

UK
    One important point: EC told the audience that CFS is likely to be a collection of different illnesses.

Yes! Our point entirely!

So why inflict dangerous and harmful 'treatments' on people with the neuro-immune disease ME?

Why can't she just admit that LP/GET/directive CBT is harmful for this particular group of patients??

She can then keep her little empire of tired kids or those with PVS who will recover in 6 months and leave people with ME to biomedical researchers/clinicians.

Why is that so impossible for her?

Why does she not use appropriate diagnostic guidelines in order to filter out those with ME?

Perhaps she enjoys the drama that she is creating by harming this sub-group of children?

7. Countrygirl

UK
  8. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Echos of the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

ladycatlover, alisonorr, Mel9 and 6 others like this.
  9. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    But equally why inflict unproven therapies on anyone left over after authentic ME patients have been removed from the equation? Any way you look at it her work lacks scientific rigour and cannot be extrapolated to any cohort because such a mixed cohort is meaningless.

Having said that I love your account Countrygirl. Can't wait to see this on film :)

10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I wonder if it is possible look into the basis of this funding decision.

For something that is such nonsense as the Lightning Process, how did Esther Crawley get funding for it, when many biomedical studies on ME/CFS are not given funding?

Does anyone know if the details of the funding decision (such as the names of the people who made the funding decision) are openly available?

ladycatlover, justy, Mel9 and 2 others like this.
  11. Countrygirl

UK
    @Hip, she gave no details, so what I am about to say could be wrong. (well, I am quoting Esther..........:p) but her almost throw-away remark was that she had been given extra funding for research and she had decided to spend it on more LP research. The impression I had was that it wasn't designated for LP in particular...............just that a pot of money has been offered to her and she has decided to spend it on a larger LP trial.

It bears investigating, but I can't provide a more accurate answer based on her lecture.

12. Countrygirl

UK
    It will be released at a cinema near you in good time @lilpink

Hugh Grant is just rehearsing for the role of David. Not sure who will play EC yet

13. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

Well done @Countrygirl and friend.

The last funding for LP was not from MRC, but a couple of Trusts most people haven't heard of, with dodgy histories.

ladycatlover, Joh and Countrygirl like this.
  14. Countrygirl

UK
    Interesting @MEMum

do you have more info on that?

ladycatlover likes this.
  15. Large Donner

I really wonder if the rest of the BPS crowd are cheering her on or are really nervy she is going to raise the curtain on them through her increasingly bizarre claims.

sue la-la, ladycatlover, Orla and 7 others like this.
  16. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Jessica Rabbit? ;)

ladycatlover, alisonorr, Mel9 and 2 others like this.
  17. Large Donner

There's no way she wont play herself shes got a body language and acting coach already by the looks of it.

Even though she will come across like one of those deluded people in the early rounds of the X Factor I'm a sure she couldn't resist the cameo.

ladycatlover, Daisymay, MEMum and 4 others like this.
  18. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

19. Countrygirl

UK
    I will say that Esther came across as very persuasive, likeable and sincere.

If I didn't know the facts and the harm she is inflicting, I would have sympathised with her.

But I do know the facts...................

Maybe she does successfully help some children................those, in the main, who are not sick with a devastating disease like ME......................and well done if she does.

BUT her refusal to acknowledge that she is seriously harming a significant number of children.............even to the point of paralysis..............and then dumping them...................tormenting distraught and over-stretched parents....................ringing their homes several times a day to push them into entering her trials...................(don't we call that harassment?) ..................and claiming that severe ME is PRS...........or whatever the latest buzz word is..........PAWS I think...........................Pervasive Arousal Withdrawal Syndrome (give me strength! :rolleyes:)...............is serious, serious malpractice.

Grandfather would not be proud of this Esther.

Please, please think what you are doing! You have the qualifications to do so much good.

At the moment, you are doing so much harm.

Please engage with the scientists who know what they are doing.

20. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Admittedly I haven't seen her 'in the flesh' but if what I've seen on video is anything to go by then this surprises me greatly. I find her screen presence very insincere.

See more popular forum discussions.