• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

data on low O2 mechanisms in CFS?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Are there any studies on the mechanisms of why PWCs have such low O2 handling ability? Is it in the lungs, in the RBCs, in what? Thanks.

merylg

Hi Sherlock,
You may be interested in exploring this thread http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/hair-mineral-testing.15099/
which in part relates to inability to move Iron to bone marrow, leading to over-production of Zinc Protoporphyrins incorporating lead, at the expense of Hemoglobin production, leading to lowered ability of red blood cells to carry & deliver O2.
Low Manganese...effect on ER stuctures. Accumulation & trapping of Iron & Copper in liver.
Depleted B2 Riboflavin stores due to fortification of foods with Vitamins & dis-proportionate supplementation of Vitamins & Minerals, poor diet, lack of variety, lack of whole foods, malabsorption, eating foods that block absorption.
Impact of low B2 Riboflavin on mitochondrial function...ATP production etc
Production of proteins relying on functional liver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proteins_produced_and_secreted_by_the_liver

Other things that I can think of are all things dealt with by Respiratory Physicians & Allergist/Immunologists. My Resp. Phys. for example said it's harder to breathe lying down. I have mild asthma, but major chemical sensitivities, food allergies & intolerances that impact on breathing. Vascular issues can also impact on breathing. How much O2 is in the air is also relevant. What noxious gases may be present? Do you have obstructive or central sleep apnoea? What metabolic issues are impacting breathing? Our general muscle weakness also impacts our ability to breathe.

It's a good topic!!! The papers would be endless!

oceanblue

Hi Sherlock

There's a separate thread on Deconditioning, and on balance most CFS patients - at least those well enough to attend outpatient clinics where most research takes place - have low but still normal VO2max levels, comparable with well-matched sedentary controls. See this post in particular. What does appear to be a consistent finding, however, is that CFS patients find exercise more exhausting (measured by the self-rated Borg RPE Exertion scale) than matched sedentary controls. Hope this helps.