• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dante Labs - another special offer

Moof

A friend sent this through to me in case it was of interest. In the UK, Dante is offering quite a good discount on WGS, with a full DNA analysis for rare diseases:

https://www.dantelabs.com/collections/our-tests/products/whole-genome-sequencing

My dyscalculia means I haven't even mastered long division yet, so the chances of me ever understanding enough about genetics to make it worthwhile are fairly minimal. But others might be interested, as these tests dig a bit deeper than some of the commercial ones?

Carl

A friend sent this through to me in case it was of interest. In the UK, Dante is offering quite a good discount on WGS, with a full DNA analysis for rare diseases:

https://www.dantelabs.com/collections/our-tests/products/whole-genome-sequencing

My dyscalculia means I haven't even mastered long division yet, so the chances of me ever understanding enough about genetics to make it worthwhile are fairly minimal. But others might be interested, as these tests dig a bit deeper than some of the commercial ones?
There are a number of sites which can interpret the data and reveal in what way you are affected. Dante Labs does provide some information and will tailor the report to any specifics that you are interested in. From there suitable ways to lessen or reduce the effects of any sub-optimal genes can be found.

I do not see any discount that is not always on offer. The WGS usually cost €499 with a €351 normal "discount". They do occasionally offer an additional €100 on top of this which is a real discount and the one to watch for.

Moof

Thanks, @Carl – I'd never even heard of the company before, so I'd no way of knowing. I just checked there wasn't a very recent thread about it, and then posted it when I saw the last one was dated August.

Carl

Thanks, @Carl – I'd never even heard of the company before, so I'd no way of knowing. I just checked there wasn't a very recent thread about it, and then posted it when I saw the last one was dated August.
That sounds like the one I posted after I spotted the €100 discount and ordered mine.

When they offer a real discount it usually applies to multiple locations and currencies $, £/€. Amazon did offer a discount on Amazon Prime day some months back followed by Dante Labs in August.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Just a reminder that their services take a lot more time than they advertise. My DNA was received in mid-June and I am still waiting for results!

Good point. Also on a side-note, people should be aware that the 'quality' of the saliva sample can apparently affect the results. Thankfully mine was 'A Grade' and thus a good specimen but people who set their hearts on their genetic data being rapidly processed who posted it off but didn't quite prepare it properly, (e.g. didn't wash mouth out properly, or had blood in it) may have to re-do the sample again which would taken even further to wait for the result!

Like yourself, I've been waiting months also. Maybe the lab is more popular than we think? Or maybe one of the lab assistants retired with repetitive strain injury and there's some poor unfortunate individual working 16 hour shifts....

Diwi9

Administrator
Still no results from Dante Labs, they were last promised by the end of October. They have now told me I can expect my results by the end of November or beginning of December.

Diwi9

Administrator
wow that sucks. hope it provides some answers for you.
I think it will be provide some insight, once it arrives. Their promise was 50 days from receipt of sample, but in the back of my mind, I knew that was unrealistic. Then, they began offering deeper and deeper discounts, so I knew at that point there would be a back up. I waited over a year to get into Stanford...if ME offers anything, it's a practice in patience!

Header on Dante Labs website:
"Black Friday Offer is about to come! Stay tuned
Nov. 18 2018. Big things are happening!"

Halloween sale was 30x for $399... Amazon Prime Day sale was $349.
Current prices are:
Whole GemomeZ (130x+30x+mtDNA) $999.
My Full DNA (30x) $499.
Coupon "DAZZLE4RARE" reduces cost by $100 for people with disorders, so that's $899 and $399.

Their website says they provide a report (?) and a VCF file. The VCF file is on a flash drive, is that correct? What is the report like? Has anyone requested their BAM or FASTQ files?

gumman123

Interesting. I did WGS 30 times coverage, and it showed no pathogenic mutations found, although based on symptoms/history etc I think I have a genetic disease. When they offer the special on the 18th I might do the whole genome z one as it is 130 times coverage of the exome.

The VCF file is downloadable from their website. I didn't request BAM or other files. I tried uploading the raw data into sequencing.com but it still did not give that much info IMO.

I have uploaded the free rare disease report they did for me. One of the clinical notes I gave was muscle weakness so they wrote a report based on genes mutations in which cause muscle weakness although after looking through the studies on genetic diseases they missed a lot. So just make sure to add clinical notes so they can zoom in on genes associated with that problem. Sequencing.com offers a rare disease report which looks at around 700 disease genes too. I think it was free.

Attachments

• 15001711232338 - Muscle Weakness.pdf
    335.2 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for the sample report!

So, basically: you received a link to download a VCF file, a a specially-requested muscle-weakness report, and a note of "no pathogenic mutations"? I was hoping they might supply a more complete report, something like Promethease or Enlis. Enlis accepts VCF files, so I guess I could run the data through it for another $80.

I might do the whole genome z one as it is 130 times coverage of the exome.
I think the "130x" coverage just means it is more accurate, not that it covers more data. i.e. If someone is going to make medical decisions based on the test results, the 130x coverage would give them more certainty.

I discovered a site called Anthrogenica where Dante Labs is discussed; the technical discussion sounds complicated.

Moof

@shoponl, this is what their web site says about the BAM / FASTQ files:

Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 09.11.32.png

@gumman123
Enlis is a software program with various tools to analyze genetic data. The most useful tool to quickly review a single file is the Phenotype Summary tab, which shows a report of clinically significant SNPs.

The software is free to download, so you can practice using it with their sample data. When you are ready for your own data, you'll give them your email and link to your data file. They'll generate a ".genome" file, and give you a free short report. If you want to proceed, then they'll charge a fee to download the ".genome" file to your computer.

Last edited: