• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Telegraph: It’s time for doctors to apologise to their ME patients (Charles Shepherd)

Ellie_Finesse

Fuming doesnt cut it!!!!!!

I have just tried sharing this article and this is the message I recieved.....

"Your message couldn't be sent because other people on facebook have reported it as abusive" ????

I would like to know what part if it was abusive???? I have sent them a message explaining what the article is about and could they please rectify it ASAP so I can then share it with my family and friends.

I am gobsmacked!!!

Artstu

Did you just do that now @Artstu?

A couple of hours ago. I pasted the address in first, but it didn't show a photo as normal, just the address, so I clicked on the Facebook share tab on the article, which formatted in the normal way with a picture. I'll just try it again to see if it'll do it again.

ETA It doesn't work for me now, I get the abusive content message.

Bob

We've had this issue before with ME/CFS articles on Facebook. Unless I'm misremembering, the last time it happened I think the issue was fixed after a few hours, once Facebook staff had a look at the article and manually approved it. Or perhaps that was my interpretation of events. It's probably to do with Facebook's algorithms, and possibly related to a number of users reporting the article as spam. I don't know how to draw Facebook staff's attention to this article because I'm not familiar with Facebook.

Last edited:

SOC

It IS primarily a psychological illness. Any reported physiological, biochemical or neural changes simply reflect the enormous influence of the human mind over the human body
what a load of delusional mind/body BS. The body doesn't influence the mind, only the mind can influence the body?
Illogical, isn't it? :rolleyes: If this person's hypothesis is correct, then there is no such thing as physical illness, doctors are frauds who should be immediately put out of business and all illness should be treated by psychologists. I wonder if that's the way s/he treats his/her own physical illnesses? No abx for this person. I'm sure s/he heads right for the therapist when an infection or cancer or diabetes crops up.

Or does "the enormous influence of the human mind of the human body" somehow only apply to physical symptoms in patients with the ME label? Is the label magical? As soon as a doctor writes ME in your file, all your physical symptoms -- the same ones patients with other illnesses have, suddenly become non-physical, even though in patients with other illnesses they are physical?

The utter lack of logical and critical thought in that post is stunning. Ya gotta wonder where this person was educated and if that institution needs to be investigated to see what on earth they're teaching because it doesn't appear to have anything to do with actual thinking.

Last edited:

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Misguided righteous attitudes in doubting the illness with condescending revelations, making sweeping generalizations and claims that are unsupported by evidence but based on anecdote and prejudices.

CHECK!

Refusing to read links provided, then claiming there's no evidence.

CHECK!

Showing disdain towards patients for alleged psychopathology. Accusing patients of stigmatizing mental illness or dismissing the reality of mental illness if they reject psychogenic explanations for their physical symptoms.

CHECK!

ME is a 'disease' of affluent society where there are secondary gains to be had from a self-reported inability to participate in mainstream society or work, with symptoms that fluctuate to give the sufferer the maximum ability to manipulate those around them

CHECK!

ME/CFS does not exist in the Caribbean or Southern Africa

CHECK!

contrast with the fatigue is the enormous energy with which sufferers defend the 'genuine illness' construct

CHECK!

Last edited:

SOC

The good news, imo, is that it's hard for anyone with more than half a brain to read that comments section and not see how irrational those arguing against us are. Our opponents have not a single shred of evidence, nor do their arguments have any logic to them. It's all blind biased assertion based on nothing. We look really good compared to them. If anybody looks like they have mental illness issues, it's not us. :p