• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Mail: Welcome to Cameron's Brave New World

'I don't WANT to have to go to the Library and copy the article to PROVE the Rod Liddle article was in the Daily Mail in late January Mark - but I will as I am sick to death of having my statements denied. Rod Liddle published an article with that statement in the Daily Mail in late January - I never read the Sun - but as you are so intent on denial - perhaps you would use your precious energy to disprove me?

Also I do suggest that you check out the Black Triangle Campaign Facebook for the dreadfully regular articles in the Daily Mail that attack and denigrate sick and disabled citizens.

The Mail plays a double game - its main thrust is to agonise about taxpayers losses by attacking sick and disabled people and other targets - beyond that there is very little news but a substantial part of the paper given over to Health and Womens articles, and Financial.

Please note that my father confirms reading the appalling article in the Print version of the Daily Mail in late January by Rod Liddle, attacking sick and disabled citizens which especially attacked ME and Fibromyalgia sufferers, with the paragraph that was quoted in the Guardian.

The online and Print versions of the Daily Mail are not the same. Articles in the Print version are not available online.

Mark

@ Mark I do suggest that you far more carefully check out the Daily Mails hate speech articles against sick and disabled citizens from the PRINT articles of the paper in the last 5 years.
OK, next time I'm passing the library I may browse through some old copies of the Mail if they have them there. If you have any dates and page numbers of examples of hate speech in the Daily Mail that might help.

Are you saying that none of this stuff is ever published online, but only in print? Or can you find an example of similar content from the online version of the Mail? I can't find such an example, I've never seen one online, and it's the online content that my previous comments were based on.

LISTEN TO THIS ATTACK ON ME SUFFERERS! Rod calls ME "a newly invented illness, that was first mentioned in 1987"

AND an interview that further highlights Rod Liddles ignorant and grotesquely ill informed SPECIFIC attack on people with ME and Fibromyalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh6ksN5JWCw

Yes, I've heard that before, we've been through all that here before, and yes, it's outrageous and disgraceful, and yes, he's an obnoxious, ignorant and bigoted man. That has nothing to do with the Daily Mail though, unless/until I see evidence otherwise.

Rod Liddle is intent on attacking sick people with ME as "feigning" illness! And he most definitely wrote a vile article in January 2012 specifically attacking ME and Fifromyalgia sufferers in the Daily Mail this January.
As I say, he most definitely wrote that vile article in The Sun this January. I only have your word that he wrote it in the Daily Mail as well, and that does seem unlikely.

Let's remember the subject of this thread, though - the article in the Mail that this thread is about. There's not much wrong with that article that I can see. And I don't mean to deny that there's a lot of right-wing crap in the Daily Mail as well, and stories about benefit scroungers etc, because clearly there is.

How many predatory cruel cowards are there out there who are feeding on, preying on, and attacking sick ME sufferers!

As someone who has survived near-death from ME and near-death from neglect, and near-death from persecution - PLEASE WAKE UP! ME patients! - the patients who end up dead are too sick to post nice debates on forums - as I was for a full decade. Frankly the complacency of some of the ME community makes my blood run cold.
I don't know who you are talking about when you talk about complacency, but I don't recognise that as applying to this community. We're well aware of all the issues you've highlighted in the last few days, you've yet to mention anything that hasn't been discussed here already, and I think I can safely say that we're all opposed to all the problems you've highlighted.

Mark

Based on what Bob's said, that does seem to confirm that the online Daily Mail is quite different from the print version. That might explain it; I mean, I don't ever buy or read the print version, and I don't intend to. Heck, I don't mean to give the impression that I'm a fan of the Daily Mail, just commenting that the article we're discussing here doesn't seem out of character with other stuff I've seen on the online version.

And yes, their article on PACE was very bad, just like all the other coverage. Like a lot of papers, they have quite a broad spread of views over a period of time. Some stuff (like the one we're discussing here) is very good, some stuff is terrible. The Independent did a fantastic front-page spread on ME a while ago, but seems to have deteriorated in its coverage of ME since then.

Bottom line is that all of the UK press is atrocious and unprincipled really. I never actually buy any of the stuff.

I didn't think you were a fan of the Daily Mail, Mark. It is the case that in the midst of the media
"extremist ME patients" onslaught of last summer, the Mail published an exceptionally sympathetic article about Lynn Gilderdale! The article was most welcome - but in the light of most of their other ME and disability articles, it seemed a bizarre editorial decision.

SilverbladeTE

Hi SilverbladeTE, to get civic action you have to raise awareness. A steady litany of deaths made Afghanistan and Iraq unpopular. If we list the disabled who die, or become homeless, or whatever the outcome is, and keep the list growing, it can build awareness and outrage. Other actions can then follow. Until the public is aware and on side nothing will happen.

I made the comment elsewhere that the current UK government would lament its actions. Its probable they will lose the next election (though perhaps not until the one after that) and then face loss of office for generations. If this does not happen the future of England is very very bleak. I would advise everyone to emigrate if they can.

To Jarod, that wouldn't surprise me, but it doesn't alter what is happening to the disabled in the UK. Read the Spartacus report. They want the disabled to work, but are dismantling the programs that get disabled into work is how I read it. Even those dying of severe disease may now be expected to work, and will in any case have to undergo fitness tests, which cost money, but which will not produce any useful outcomes. Yet these people are expected, somehow, to compete on a level playing field with the millions who currently can't find a job yet are well enough to work? Its fantasyland.

Bye, Alex

yeah they just announced they are shutting the "MENCAP" charity factories, that employ many disabled people
how can they demand the disabled find jobs when over 3 milllion healthy folk cannot get jobs?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17288762
Remploy plans factory closures with 1,700 job lossesMinister for Disabled People Maria Miller: Money used should 'support the individual'
Remploy - which provides work for people with disabilities - is planning to close 36 of its 54 factories, putting more than 1,700 jobs at risk.

Minister for Disabled People Maria Miller said the sites could be closed by the end of the year as they were not financially viable.

Labour called the decision "the wrong plan at the wrong time".

Remploy factories were established 66 years ago as part of the creation of the welfare state.

Remploy workers are employed in enterprises that vary from furniture and packaging manufacturing to recycling electrical appliances and operating CCTV systems and control rooms.

Losses

The government says "non-viable" Remploy factories should close, with the money, part of a 320m annual budget for disability employment, re-invested into other schemes to help disabled people find work.

meanwhile, the incompetant bastards had set up schemes to save money and they LOST more money than they saved!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17276978

Whitehall department savings scheme overspent by 500m, says report
Whitehall needs clearer direction if it wants to cut costs, a report says Continue reading the main story

Whitehall departments have been criticised for overspending by 500m on schemes that were actually intended to save money.

The National Audit Office (NAO) found ministers had failed to offer "clear management" for the setting-up of pooled resource centres aimed stopping costs being duplicated.

None of the schemes looked at had broken even.

But the coalition was trying to sort out the problems, the NAO said.

In 2004, Tony Blair's Labour government promised to set up cost-saving centres to save 159m by sharing "back-office" functions such as information technology, personnel and procurement between departments.

The NAO said the initial start-up costs had been put at 900m but, by 2011, had increased to 1.4bn.

And net savings had not been made as a result of the schemes

vastly more is "lost" in government idiocy (or fraud), than is stolen by welfare fraud
the amounts lost in defence and IT screw ups and fraud is in the tens of BILLIONS
in America it's of titanic proportions (larger economy), depending on sources, up to 1/3rd of US defence spending is lost, kludged (spun out longer than necessary or funds used to garner interest that is then kept etc) or stolen

http://idler.co.uk/notes/the-truth/
BRIAN DEAN of Anxiety Culture has rounded up the real facts on welfare and reveals that corporate fraud and defence spending cost us far more than dole cheats.

WELFARE
The annual cost of welfare in Britain is about 100 billion. The tabloid media blame this high cost on the workshy, but most of it goes on pensions:

Annual cost ( billions)
Job Seekers Allowance: .2.3
Housing benefit: .4.1
Income Support: 6.5
Child benefit: ..8.8
Benefits for disabled: 10.8
Contribution-based pensions: ..42.1

(Smaller costs include winter fuel payments for the elderly, at 1.7bn, etc. Source: Department for Work and Pensions, 2003)

TAX AVOIDANCE & FRAUD
When it comes to swindling, dole cheats arent the biggest drain on the UK economy:

Estimated annual cost ( billions):
Corporate tax avoidance: 85
Business fraud: 14
Government fraud in Whitehall: 5
Tobacco smuggling: ..3.5
VAT fraud on mobile phones: 2.5
Total welfare fraud: .2
Jobseekers Allowance fraud: 0.19
Bulldozer smuggling:. 0.15

(Sources, respectively: Guardian, 12/4/02; BBC Radio 4, Today, 23/8/01; BBC Radio 4 News, 1996; Guardian 17/12/99; BBC Radio 4, Today, 3/7/03; DWP, 2003; The Informal Economy, by Lord Grabiner, March 2000; Guardian, 25/8/01)

CORPORATE WELFARE
A billion here, a billion there sooner or later it adds up to real money (Everett Dirksen)

The biggest welfare leeches are corporations. British businesses receive billions in handouts from the Department for Trade and Industry the DTI is basically a corporate dole office. One of its many grants Regional Selective Assistance pays companies millions to safeguard jobs. Nearly 1 in 8 companies receiving this grant are paid more than once, which according to the National Audit Office contradicts the aim of helping firms become self-sustaining. It sounds like welfare dependency.

Meanwhile, America spends $175 billion per year on corporate welfare. Much of it takes the form of tax breaks slashing the tax bills of successful companies by billions:

Corporate tax welfare 1996-2000
(US$ billions)
Microsoft: ..12
General Electric: ..12
Ford: .9.1
Worldcom: 5.3
IBM: 4.7
General Motors: 3.6
Enron: ..1

(Source: Citizens for Tax Justice, ctj.org)

Corporate dole is also used to bail out business failures. Examples include: (in Britain) the ??46 billion of public money required to clean up the nuclear industry; (in America) the $15 billion bailout of airlines and the Savings and Loan scandal which is likely to cost US taxpayers over $1 trillion. According to Gore Vidal, the ongoing S&L bailout will cost more than the whole of US spending on social welfare from 1789 to the present. (Source: Vidal, On the State of the Union, 1994.)

MILITARY SPENDING
The US government plans to spend $2.7 trillion ($2,700,000,000,000) on the military over the next six years. Britain is a long way behind, but still one of the five biggest military spenders:

Annual military budget (US$ billions)
USA: ..399
Russia: ..65
China: 47
Japan: 42
UK: 38
France: .29

Fighter jet development is one of the biggest defence costs. For example, Americas F-22 cost $63 billion. The Eurofighter (a UK/European project) cost ??50 billion (??30bn over budget and a decade overdue some experts say its already obsolete) the cost to UK taxpayers was ??20 billion, approximately ??1,000 per household. (Sources: Center for Defense Information, cdi.org, 2003; Eurofighter, BBC2, 11/11/03).

FIXING THE PLANET
A long-running research project, What the World Wants, used databases of world resource and crisis information to calculate the costs of solving global problems. It found the total cost of tackling all the big problems equal to 30% of the worlds total annual military expenditures ($780 billion). Here are some of the annual costs for putting things right (Source: Operating System Earth, osearth.com, 1996):

End homelessness: $21 billion
(Equivalent to the amount spent by the US on golf every 16 months)

Eliminate starvation: $19 billion
(55% of what the US spends on weight loss per year)

Stop global warming/ozone depletion:
$13 billion
(27% of total insurance pay-outs for 1990s weather-related damage)

Provide birth control: .$10.5 billion
(1.3% of the worlds annual military expenditures)

Eliminate illiteracy: .$5 billion
(20% of the amount of arms sales to developing countries)

ACCOUNTING HICCUPS
According to some estimates we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions. (Donald Rumsfeld, quoted on CBS News, 29/1/02)

Rumsfeld admitted that the Pentagon misplaced $2.3 trillion. This money has disappeared nobody knows where its gone. Government officials have blamed the accounting systems the US Department of Defense has failed to produce independently audited accounts since 1995. Im not making this up. By the way, $2.3 trillion would cover Britains Jobseekers Allowance budget for 560 years. (Source: CBS News see anxietyculture.com/cbs.htm for a list of links.)

Brian Dean runs anxietyculture.com

BRIAN DEAN of Anxiety Culture has rounded up the real facts on welfare and reveals that corporate fraud and defence spending cost us far more than dole cheats.

WELFARE
The annual cost of welfare in Britain is about 100 billion. The tabloid media blame this high cost on the workshy, but most of it goes on pensions:

Annual cost ( billions)
Job Seekers Allowance: .2.3
Housing benefit: .4.1
Income Support: 6.5
Child benefit: ..8.8
Benefits for disabled: 10.8
Contribution-based pensions: ..42.1

(Smaller costs include winter fuel payments for the elderly, at 1.7bn, etc. Source: Department for Work and Pensions, 2003)

TAX AVOIDANCE & FRAUD
When it comes to swindling, dole cheats arent the biggest drain on the UK economy:

Estimated annual cost ( billions):
Corporate tax avoidance: 85
Business fraud: 14
Government fraud in Whitehall: 5
Tobacco smuggling: ..3.5
VAT fraud on mobile phones: 2.5
Total welfare fraud: .2
Jobseekers Allowance fraud: 0.19
Bulldozer smuggling:. 0.15

(Sources, respectively: Guardian, 12/4/02; BBC Radio 4, Today, 23/8/01; BBC Radio 4 News, 1996; Guardian 17/12/99; BBC Radio 4, Today, 3/7/03; DWP, 2003; The Informal Economy, by Lord Grabiner, March 2000; Guardian, 25/8/01)

CORPORATE WELFARE
A billion here, a billion there sooner or later it adds up to real money (Everett Dirksen)

The biggest welfare leeches are corporations. British businesses receive billions in handouts from the Department for Trade and Industry the DTI is basically a corporate dole office. One of its many grants Regional Selective Assistance pays companies millions to safeguard jobs. Nearly 1 in 8 companies receiving this grant are paid more than once, which according to the National Audit Office contradicts the aim of helping firms become self-sustaining. It sounds like welfare dependency.

Meanwhile, America spends $175 billion per year on corporate welfare. Much of it takes the form of tax breaks slashing the tax bills of successful companies by billions:

Corporate tax welfare 1996-2000
(US$ billions)
Microsoft: ..12
General Electric: ..12
Ford: .9.1
Worldcom: 5.3
IBM: 4.7
General Motors: 3.6
Enron: ..1

(Source: Citizens for Tax Justice, ctj.org)

Corporate dole is also used to bail out business failures. Examples include: (in Britain) the ??46 billion of public money required to clean up the nuclear industry; (in America) the $15 billion bailout of airlines and the Savings and Loan scandal which is likely to cost US taxpayers over $1 trillion. According to Gore Vidal, the ongoing S&L bailout will cost more than the whole of US spending on social welfare from 1789 to the present. (Source: Vidal, On the State of the Union, 1994.)

MILITARY SPENDING
The US government plans to spend $2.7 trillion ($2,700,000,000,000) on the military over the next six years. Britain is a long way behind, but still one of the five biggest military spenders:

Annual military budget (US$ billions)
USA: ..399
Russia: ..65
China: 47
Japan: 42
UK: 38
France: .29

Fighter jet development is one of the biggest defence costs. For example, Americas F-22 cost $63 billion. The Eurofighter (a UK/European project) cost ??50 billion (??30bn over budget and a decade overdue some experts say its already obsolete) the cost to UK taxpayers was ??20 billion, approximately ??1,000 per household. (Sources: Center for Defense Information, cdi.org, 2003; Eurofighter, BBC2, 11/11/03).

FIXING THE PLANET
A long-running research project, What the World Wants, used databases of world resource and crisis information to calculate the costs of solving global problems. It found the total cost of tackling all the big problems equal to 30% of the worlds total annual military expenditures ($780 billion). Here are some of the annual costs for putting things right (Source: Operating System Earth, osearth.com, 1996):

End homelessness: $21 billion
(Equivalent to the amount spent by the US on golf every 16 months)

Eliminate starvation: $19 billion
(55% of what the US spends on weight loss per year)

Stop global warming/ozone depletion:
$13 billion
(27% of total insurance pay-outs for 1990s weather-related damage)

Provide birth control: .$10.5 billion
(1.3% of the worlds annual military expenditures)

Eliminate illiteracy: .$5 billion
(20% of the amount of arms sales to developing countries)

ACCOUNTING HICCUPS
According to some estimates we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions. (Donald Rumsfeld, quoted on CBS News, 29/1/02)

Rumsfeld admitted that the Pentagon misplaced $2.3 trillion. This money has disappeared nobody knows where its gone. Government officials have blamed the accounting systems the US Department of Defense has failed to produce independently audited accounts since 1995. Im not making this up. By the way, $2.3 trillion would cover Britains Jobseekers Allowance budget for 560 years. (Source: CBS News see anxietyculture.com/cbs.htm for a list of links.)

Brian Dean runs anxietyculture.com

note that, total welfare fraud 0.2 billion
so who's the bigest thieves of all? CORPORATIONS AND GOVERNMENT!

SilverbladeTE

Mark, WIldcat, Bob
Uk tabloids are scum, most of the braod sheets are merely "polite scum" :p
they dance ot the demands of their owners.

English and Scottish editions of the Sun have very different articles, for example
routinely, the Sun and other English tabloids have been ttacking the Scots, real nasty crap that would geet them jailed for racist abuse if aimed at any other group but isnce hey, the disabled/Scots aren't a "race/ethnic group" they cna get away with it, and it's in the interests of those in power.

If a Scottish newspaper printed that continual invective against English people, there'd be an outrage.

Divide and Conquer, it is how the evil scum at the top work

Bob

Here's a sort of related article in the Guardian.
It's about the Sun newspaper's new "Beat the Cheat" hotline that they're apparently setting up.

This article is interesting from an ME patient's point of view, because the journalist talks about 'hidden' disabilities, such as ours is.

Are Sun readers ready to 'Beat the Cheat' armed with the facts?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/07/sun-beat-the-cheat-benefits?CMP=twt_gu

I think this all follows on from what Silverblade said: "Divide and Conquer."

The Sun's populist tactic is purely about turning poor people against poor people, and in doing so, deflecting anger away from the elite businessmen who caused the recession. It also helps the government do what they are doing with the severe benefits cuts. So the poor get penalised with benefits cuts, benefits claimants get the blame for the austerity measures, and the elite do very well out of the recession and walk away with multi-billion pound bonuses etc. And the poor attack each other over pennies.

This is all just my opinion, of course... I don't usually get into politics, because it can be divisive, so I'll shut up now.

Jarod

You nailed it Bob. That is definitely the type of stuff they enjoy doing.

I think the sociopaths conceptualizing the "beat the cheat" campaign, and the sociopaths in Camelford electro-shock therapy experiments (on people with aluminum poisoning) are part of the same club.

It just get deeper and deeper.

Jarod

Philip Zimbardo Professor Emeritus Stanford University: Why ordinary people do evil ... or do good

gets interesting at about 10:00 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFEV35tWsg

When Dr. Philip Zimbardo, author of The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil, first appeared, he and Dr. Phil examined what makes a good person do bad things. Now, they continue to explore blind obedience to authority and how social influences can have a negative impact on your life.

http://www.lucifereffect.com/

Valentijn

I most definitely read that grotesque article and statement by Rod Liddle, along with other obscene statements by him (denigrating the charity Mencap and denying the rate of hate crimes against sick and disabled citizens) in the print version of the Daily Mail in late January 2012. It was one of the most shocking attacks against sick and disabled citizens (and especially targeting ME sufferers) of the last decade by a UK national newspaper. I was pretty upset and discussed it with my father.

I very much doubt Rod Liddle has written anything for the Daily Mail, at least not any time after they published this article written by his ex-wife, about him being a scum-sucking philanderer :) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2014419/Rod-Liddle-cheated-days-wedding.html

I also don't see anything in the Daily Mail discussing the Rod Liddle article about the "pretend disabled". But it is certainly possible that you read about the article somewhere other than The Sun. Many media outlets picked it up as a story and reprinted snippets, in the context of it showing Rod Liddle being a hate-filled assclown. In fact, all you'll find online is the outraged reactions from those other media outlets, as even The Sun removed the offending article (though http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/01/rod-liddle-disabled-the-sun/ does have a photo of the entire article).

SilverbladeTE

Here's a sort of related article in the Guardian.
It's about the Sun newspaper's new "Beat the Cheat" hotline that they're apparently setting up.

This article is interesting from an ME patient's point of view, because the journalist talks about 'hidden' disabilities, such as ours is.

Are Sun readers ready to 'Beat the Cheat' armed with the facts?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/07/sun-beat-the-cheat-benefits?CMP=twt_gu

I think this all follows on from what Silverblade said: "Divide and Conquer."

The Sun's populist tactic is purely about turning poor people against poor people, and in doing so, deflecting anger away from the elite businessmen who caused the recession. It also helps the government do what they are doing with the severe benefits cuts. So the poor get penalised with benefits cuts, benefits claimants get the blame for the austerity measures, and the elite do very well out of the recession and walk away with multi-billion pound bonuses etc. And the poor attack each other over pennies.

This is all just my opinion, of course... I don't usually get into politics, because it can be divisive, so I'll shut up now.

Exactly, mate!

Jews, Christians, Chinese, Irish, Blacks..whatever, you name it,
"throw the mob a bone so you can steal what they own"

Firestormm

Speaking of Mr Liddle, it seems we might have something to thank him for...

Give that nice Mr Liddle a round of applause!
Northern Ireland comment about tonight on Ulster TV

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=10702

Just to say that on an initial check of iPlayer this morrow I couldn't see the feature. It may have been pushed aside for now because some ferry/liner boat crashed into the docks. Will repost when I know for sure.

Oh and btw I had not seen reference to Liddle being anywhere but in the Sun printed version. Though I'm 'happy' to be corrected - it only ever was flagged as being in the Sun to my knowledge but like Mark I lean towards on-line stuff although had it been in the print edition of the Mail I would have been told.

Regarding this article (thread topic) I can confirm that it was only posted on-line and not in the printed edition of the Mail. Phew!

The Guardian today in a comment posted on-line have hit out at the Sun's government backed campaign - bash a cheat - or somesuch. I would like to take up Alex's offer of emigration but am not sure where the best place now to live might be...

What's it like for disabled folk down-under Alex?

Jarod

Is it possible the Elites want to remove David Cameron from office?

Is the original article in this thread designed to unleash the anger of the disabled advocacy machine on David Cameron? I already said this in post #7, but found more evidence this morning. The article illustrates again how much trouble Scottland yard is giving the Murdoch Empire. I'm assuming that David Cameron might be supporting Scottland yard. Hence the need to take out Cameron.

News Corp. Obstruction Evidence Grows

Court records and interviews with people briefed on the hacking investigation indicate the showdown between Brooks and Scotland Yard is just one episode in a persistent, five-year effort to contain the scandal in a manner the police and a U.K. judge have called obstructive.
They are to be treated as deliberate destroyers of evidence, said High Court Judge Geoffrey Vos at a Jan. 19 hearing in London at which the company announced it had settled 36 cases involving hacking victims.

After leaving News International in 2007 because of the Goodman case, Coulson was hired as a communications adviser to David Cameron, who became the U.K.s prime minister in 2010.

Wouldnt Coulsons arrest be a problem for the company? Jacobs asked. Brooks dismissed his concern, saying Coulsons arrest was much more likely to be a problem for David Cameron.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-mounts-amid-james-murdoch-s-resignation.html

It also seems like Rebecca Brooks may have set up Coulson under Cameron, so they have an incestuous relationship that can be used as leverage. Now that Cameron defected on Coulson(a media insider) that is another reason to take out Cameron.

All speculation of course. However, this stuff can happen.These guys are clever.

cameron-coulson.jpg

maddietod

What I see going on is terrifying in its simplicity. The whole system is rigged so workers support wealth-creation for the Elite. The truth of their world-view is that there is no place for people who don't work.

Sick people, who can't work, are doubly useless. We don't support their wealth, and we expect to be given money! It gives them terrible headaches!

Their solutions are usually not so transparent; I think they've clearly shown their colors here. They don't actually want us to go to work - there are no jobs. But they can't say the truth, which is that they want us to disappear and stop "taking" money out of their system.

From my point of view, it doesn't matter if David Cameron is a patsy/fall guy or not. There's an agreement amongst the powerful to cleanse the system of non-producers, even if it requires some interim expenses for smokescreens like work capability assessments.

Just my 2 cents.

Madie

Firestormm

A small aside but on my local BBC Cornwall radio station phone-in just now, this chap called in to say he had been told his incapacity benefit was ending, and he was being assessed for work.

Diagnosed with Epilepsy and something else that I can't now recall (goddammit) and his community nurse had just left after bandaging his legs. 62 years old and he has the dreaded Questionnaire to complete - only he doesn't yet realise just what that entails or how hard is it to complete alone.

The broadcaster said he ought to get citizens advice to help. Which is fine and dandy, except this chap can't leave his home and by the sound of it has trouble talking as well. The devastation getting that letter brings (and when they introduced the 'migration' they said they were phoning people to help them through the system) cannot be understated.

Next topic for the radio after dealing with that, was the national problem with discarded chewing gum! Beggars belief!

Jarod

I see your point.

I was trying to make an argument that David Cameron may actually be trying to dismantle the Murdoch media attack machine through the Scottland Yard; Hence, the nasty article trying to make the disabled go after Cameron.

I'm proposing, by throwing out David Cameron, people are potentially throwing out an ally who has decided to try and clean Murdoch's house for him.

I would take it one step further. If in fact one does believe the media is part of the problem and we can illustrate that. Why not send the Scottland Yard a few articles illustrating how the media goes after the disabled? Any articles from Murdoch's empire in particular.

If somebody is not disabled, they have no way of understanding how the media abuses the disabled. This community is extremely talented and effective when it comes to digging up little bits of information and illustrating how why those bits of information are so wrong. Might be worth a few emails to Scottland Yard. Never know.

However, no need for everybody getting too upset either. Just brainstorming. :balloons:

SilverbladeTE

Scotland Yard is part of the problem!
The London Police force serves to protect the elite "The City", from the "gutter scum" (anyone earning less than 25k a year)
see recent riots, after that the politicians were luving up to the coppers and refusing to accept the economic/discriminatry crap that the politicians/elite had caused, was the cause of a lot of the initial anger that later of course became the usual, a riot (and man do I hate riots, grr)
Trigger: another black guy getting shot, unarmed
met cops can blow anyone's head off and get away with it

and PLEASE do not think this is osme unique Uk situation
if want I can get you videos of US cops throwing disabled folk out of wheelchairs, etc
Thing is, we are hearing about it in the UK, US media is almost completely moronic brain drain for the corporates so it isn't shown and US welfare system and way torture etc have been "normalized" form on high, well..elties have won.
US could send men to the Moon and done tons of amazing things, yet starts tons of useless wars, has millions now going hungry/no medical cover, WTF?!

meh I couldn't rant, but what's the point, most of you know, but tons of the sheeple etc, do not
wait till it's THEIR turn, then they'll learn all right

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.