• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Mail: Welcome to Cameron's Brave New World

Firestormm

Daily Mail :shock: 6 March 2012: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...floors-Welcome-Cameron-s-Brave-New-World.html

Suicide training in Job Centres? Cancer patients scrubbing floors? Welcome to Camerons Brave New World

By Sonia Poulton

'So, the Welfare Reform Bill - the part that refers to sick and disabled people - limped bruised and bloodied over the finishing line in Parliament last week. The various acts of treachery and betrayal it contained making its final journey into law once it has been granted the Queen's royal assent.

It was inevitable, really, and disability campaigners who, for the past two years, have fought feverishly, and quite literally at times from their sickbeds, to oppose it, resigned themselves to the fact that nothing short of a Biblical-type miracle would reverse their fate.

However, it is only now that the full implications of what these reforms - or brutal acts of savagery as I prefer to call them - will actually mean to millions of seriously vulnerable people in our country. And it is an ugly realisation.

This is how I see it. In the life of most every politician there is one, or several, events that mark out their DOh moment. This is not based on severity but on a feeling it should not have happened at all.

For examples: Nixon - Watergate. Kennedy - Marilyn. Major - Edwina Currie. Tony Blair - Iraq. You get my point?

Well heres my Doh moment prediction for David Cameron. He will be remembered as the Prime Minister - without a mandate, remember - who attacked the sick and disabled of our country with a vehemence beyond human comprehension. And when you think that he had a disabled son who tragically passed two years ago, well, then, it beggars belief even more so.

So, to bring the story up to speed.

Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blairs Governments set the blueprint of the welfare reforms that David Cameron has just forced through Parliament. And when I say forced I mean the type that requires extraordinary levels of subterfuge and manipulation to shoehorn into place.

He ignored panels and focus groups, charities and campaigners and he overturned the Lords' by invoking an archaic law of financial privilege, which allows the Commons the last say on money matters.

Such was his unstoppable zeal to push through reforms - contrary to all advice, personal and professional - that you had to wonder if it was a psychological issue driving him on.

Perhaps denied grief at the death of his disabled son. Bereavement affects us on an individual basis and there is no guarantee that it will manifest in logical ways.

So these cuts will now become law and, as a nation weeps, the details are sorrowful when applied to reality.

Here's an example. Any disabled or sick person who has been given more than six months to live - and is unable to financially support themselves - will be sent out to work. If they refuse, or back out of a scheme, then they will be subject to benefit sanctions.

This, it must be noted, is extraordinarily punishing towards disabled people when we consider how DWP boss, Chris Grayling, treats others involved in 'Workfare' type arrangements.

Consider, if you will, how he was forced to back-track last week following pressure from campaigners and businesses. After a summit designed to get more businesses on board the Workfare bus, he announced that he would remove the threat of benefit sanctions for unemployed young people on job seeker allowance who drop out of the scheme.

Wow. In what world can young, fit people be given protection that we deny our most vulnerable? That's more suited to an Aldous Huxley script than real life.

Next up in the reforms will be an increase in multiple testing of patients, including those with Alzheimer's and Multiple Sclerosis, to see if they are fit for work. They will be tested repeatedly. It will cost a great deal of money to administer and it will wear already sick people to a pulp.

And as for children who dare to be born disabled, well that assistance previously available to them has been wiped out in Cameron's Armageddon on the poor.

Sue Marsh, one of the co-authors of 'Responsible Reform - The Spartacus Report' - which launched a worthy counter-attack to the Coalition's WRB measures said: "We begged for 11 Million to protect profoundly disabled children into adulthood, but nuh-huh."

And yet we, as a nation, manage to find millions of pounds to pay Cameron's army of advisers and assessors including the allegedly fraudulent activities of back-to-work company A4E which was set up by the Coalition's 'families czar' Emma Harrison.

Could we consider this? If this is really a cost-cutting exercise to fill the billion pound deficit, when is the Coalition going to start from within? The DWP spend over 25 thousand pounds per month on travel, hotels and stationery - surely there is something that could be curbed there rather than taking 20% from disability which, according to their own figures, only has 0.5% of fraud.

I'm writing this and I'm struggling to believe it at the same time, which is quite a conflict.

With all this insistence of paid employment for the terminally ill (despite the fact that we have almost 3million unemployed) it is no wonder that job centres, up and down the land, have been issued with details on how to handle suicides in their establishments. Something, apparently, they are anticipating rather more of since the WRB was voted in.

I think the expression you couldnt make this up is appropriate here.

Perhaps the aim is to finish off the sick and disabled sooner rather than later. Well that way, at least, you get to save on the medical bills of our increasingly privatised National Health Service.

After all, what use are such people to our society?

There is a notion, false obviously, that disabled and sick people make no contribution and only drain the system. What short-sightedness. Such a statement assumes that only paid work has social value.

What about other contributions including volunteer work - from charity shops to hospitals and schools? These roles are frequently staffed by disabled people, too.

Ironically, a number of disabled people will now be removed from such vital community roles and placed in a Workfare scheme - free labour to private businesses - so that they may mop floors, wash dishes or clean toilets. Ain't life grand?

Disabled people, like the majority of people, want to work but they also have to take account of how their illness or disability will affect their working life. Unlike the able-bodied and healthy, they do not know which turn their well-being will take when they wake in the morning. Whether they will be able to physically climb out of bed much less make it to the factory floor.

People on disability benefit are not living it up. If only. According to the group Family Action, some families survive on less than two pounds per day. Quite a contrast when you compare it to the Peers in the Lords who receive 300 a day just to show up and then get to enjoy smoked salmon in the tax-payer subsidised cafeteria (cost to the taxpayer is a mere 1.44million a year. bargain). Oh how the other half live.

So where will disabled and sick have to turn to now in their greatest hour of need? Well they can forget the Social Fund because that was viciously axed in these reforms, too.

For millions of people, a Social Fund loan - yes it was repayable, it wasn't a gift - was the difference between sleeping on a bed or a floor. The MP's who voted to banish this have no understanding of such destitution and poverty. Not while they are able to subsidise the purchase of their country mansions with their parliamentary expenses.

People are already impoverished and it is certain to get worse. I read one online disability forum where a woman with breast cancer and liver disease didn't know where she was going to get the ten pound needed for travel to hospital for an appointment.

Unlike David and Samantha Cameron, who claimed Disability Living Allowance for their child - and absolutely did not need to - many disabled now must adjust to seriously reduced circumstances since Cameron attacked DLA in the reforms and will replace with the patently detrimental Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

The transfer from DLA to PIP will remove help from 25% of those in receipt of the benefit now, despite the fact that this is a benefit that helps some disabled people to stay in work.

And therein lies much of the problem with these reforms. They lack joined-up thinking. They don't appear to have been thought through to a satisfactory end.

Take for example the perception within the Coalition, the DWP and the care services that everyone has a spouse and family to fall back on but that is not the reality for many people.

As a consequence of these cuts, more disabled people will find themselves in bedsits, or hostels or on the streets. There is a significant proportion of people with mental health issues and learning difficulties who find themselves in this situation already and it is certain to increase.

Well then perhaps it's time to resurrect another part of our history - seeing as David Cameron is clearly following a Dickensian blueprint for our poor - the workhouse. Yes, that testament to our proud, class-conscious society.

Talk to any disabled or sick person right now and there is a word that crops up more than any other, a running thread central to what they are feeling. It is this: fear.

Fear of losing their homes when they no longer have DLA to top up their Housing Benefit shortfall where, thanks to the previous Conservative Government, private rents are uncapped and extortionate. Fear of losing their carer because there will be no allowance for them. Fear of being bed-ridden for the lack of anyone to lend support. Fear of losing ramps and assistance to get in and out of the house. Cold fear that this feeling of being unwanted and excluded from society is how it is going to be for the rest of their days.

In internet circles, where many disabled campaigners congregate, names are bandied around of those who have committed suicide through fear of going cold and hungry and feeling that they are increasingly a burden to society.

At the last count there were some 103 names linked to such suicides and I have actually heard people say that they would consider suicide as a way out of this constant state of anxiety and despair.

What alarms me is how this dispassion towards people with disabilities appears to be spreading from the Coalition down.

There are commentators who openly deride disabled people (Rod Liddle's ill-informed and hate-inciting rhetoric - a type of drunk-sick on paper - in a tabloid was one, but he's not alone). There are also comedians who mock disability. Ricky Gervais' 'mong' impersonation surely says more about him than it does about anyone else (although to be fair, Ricky has since claimed this to be naivety and that he was unaware that the term was still used to describe disability).

There is also, according to recent figures, a 40 per cent increase in disabled attacks in the past year alone. Hardly wonder when the general public are constantly being goaded with the idea that we are 'mugs for supporting scroungers'. Talk like that tends to breed resentment.

And then there's this. An occurrence that should serve to alarm us all.

The British Medical Journal published a paper from Oxford University don Francesca Minerva, a philosopher and medical ethicist, who argued that doctors should have the right to kill newborn babies including those born with disabilities because, according to Minerva, a young baby is not a real person and so killing it in the first days after birth is little different to aborting it in the womb.

But here's what gives me hope. Ever since last week's rubber stamping of the Welfare Reform Bill, disability campaigners have begun a serious fightback and are preparing, like an army, to overcome this wickedness that has been wrought on them. Information is being compiled and exchanged, despite ill-health and disability I have never witnessed such a bank of people determined to overcome the odds piled on them.

Let us not forget, and despite the mainstream media's best efforts to convince us otherwise, this is not about the neighbor with the apparent bad back who plays golf at weekends (who can also be genuinely disabled but even disabilities allow for better days when activity can increase), but about some of the most horrendous acts against truly vulnerable people.

This may not affect you. Perhaps your parents, or yourself even, have a sufficient financial cushion not to worry about that. What an enviable position to be in.

But what about those less fortunate?

I believe - and Ive 47 years of a colourful life to base this judgement on - that the UK is comprised of essentially decent people. Citizens who care enough to see beyond their own selfish existence.

The people I know dont want to be - and neither are they - the type of people who turn their backs when the going gets tough. They actually seek a more compassionate life on earth where we are prepared to support and contribute to each others lives.

In is unconscionable that these disability reforms have been allowed to happen. To be fair, we all knew it was a Conservative agenda, but a Liberal one as well? Goodness how Nick Clegg can ever recover from this I do not know. My imagination is not that good.

So the Welfare Reform Bill, after decades in the making, has finally come to pass. Oh, how proud are we as a nation? We did it. Gave those sick and crippled unfortunates a good old kicking. Lets give ourselves a collective pat on the back for allowing this to proceed. Makes you proud to be British, doesn't it?'

Enid

Sure got their sick/disabled assessments all wrong - but of course not Docs and in the case of ME if they turned to Docs hopeless too - they know even less.

wdb

Isn't that exactly what the Daily Mail has been campaigning for for years ?

Firestormm

Hence my 'shock' upon reading it had come from them! Still, as I have said elsewhere, what goes around comes around. Call it karma. They don't like it up 'em.

Too damn right wing most of the time but when such blatant acts of discrimination occur such as this damned legislation and immorality - EVEN the Daily Mail feels obliged to take a stance.

Having cast my eye at the comments this article has been met with disbelief among the 'faithful'. My old man would have choked on his cornflakes if he still read the Wail.

I am shocked it didn't come from the Guardian but pleased for that very reason. I doubt anyone saw this coming - bit like the legislation I suppose.

alex3619

Nazi Germany went down this road. Its not a good path to be on. There should be a list of those who have died as a result of this, like what happens in a war zone. We decry brutal dictators who have a few people murdered. What then of the British government when they take deliberate actions that results in the death of thousands and abuse of millions? Publish the names and the numbers, even if it has to be published overseas. Bye, Alex

Jarod

One has to read the news carefully these days, and look at the bigger picture. Cameron Appears to have turned on Rupert Murdoch lately. So as perverse as the benefit bill was, this article may be an effort by the elite controlled media to throw out Cameron now?

News International is facing multiple criminal investigations and civil court cases as well as a public inquiry into press standards after long-simmering criticism of its practices came to a head last July.

Politicians once close to Murdoch, including Prime Minister David Cameron, turned their backs on him and demanded answers after the Guardian newspaper revealed the News of the World had hacked the phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/06/us-newscorp-journalists-pressure-idUSTRE8251HX20120306

I don't follow your politics over there, but that is how it works here in the USA. You piss off the Elite, and the media comes out with a news paper public relations blitz to unleash public furor on you. It can be propaganda and deception intended to fool the public into doing something that is not in their best interest. Not saying that is the case here, but it does happen.

I've thought they may use it for the stick and carrot approach. Take this million and do what we say, or else!! Or else we will expose the naked pictures you sent from your twitter acount to that young college girl.

example:
The controversy surrounding the lewd photograph sent from Rep. Anthony Weiner's (D-N.Y.) Twitter account took a new turn Monday

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/06/anthony-weiner-twitter-new-photos_n_871817.html

Many tabloids are just a way to dig up dirt on politicians. If anybody tries to step out of line, the bad news hits the papers.

These press releases are often secret society Jiu-Jitsu if you ask me.

SilverbladeTE

Folk on other forums wouldn't listen to me when I told 'em this shit was coming whern the Tory-Lib scum got in and the fist "sniffs" of this started.
Only crazy folk like me would believe our government could wish to exterimante the sick and poor...
That kind of thing doesn't happen in Britain!
BOLLOCKS! Damn right it does.

Alex
publish?
No, "Nuremberg" is what we need, or a revolution.
Ah well, folk only learn the hard Way, usually over a pile of corpses....
so. so sick fed up of the Human "Race", sigh.
200px-Camp_ArbeitMachtFrei.JPG

My answer to that and David Cameron and Nick Clegg:

door get the fuck out.jpg

alex3619

Hi SilverbladeTE, to get civic action you have to raise awareness. A steady litany of deaths made Afghanistan and Iraq unpopular. If we list the disabled who die, or become homeless, or whatever the outcome is, and keep the list growing, it can build awareness and outrage. Other actions can then follow. Until the public is aware and on side nothing will happen.

I made the comment elsewhere that the current UK government would lament its actions. Its probable they will lose the next election (though perhaps not until the one after that) and then face loss of office for generations. If this does not happen the future of England is very very bleak. I would advise everyone to emigrate if they can.

To Jarod, that wouldn't surprise me, but it doesn't alter what is happening to the disabled in the UK. Read the Spartacus report. They want the disabled to work, but are dismantling the programs that get disabled into work is how I read it. Even those dying of severe disease may now be expected to work, and will in any case have to undergo fitness tests, which cost money, but which will not produce any useful outcomes. Yet these people are expected, somehow, to compete on a level playing field with the millions who currently can't find a job yet are well enough to work? Its fantasyland.

Bye, Alex

Jarod

To Jarod, that wouldn't surprise me, but it doesn't alter what is happening to the disabled in the UK. Read the Spartacus report. They want the disabled to work, but are dismantling the programs that get disabled into work is how I read it. Even those dying of severe disease may now be expected to work, and will in any case have to undergo fitness tests, which cost money, but which will not produce any useful outcomes. Yet these people are expected, somehow, to compete on a level playing field with the millions who currently can't find a job yet are well enough to work? Its fantasyland.

Bye, Alex

Hi Alex,

It's hard to believe, but happening.

Hopefully people can start building networks and support groups locally. That way they can pool resources and develope productive strategies for building a good community. Maybe bring back morals and empathy a bit.

Jarod

Mark

Isn't that exactly what the Daily Mail has been campaigning for for years ?

So I had always been led to believe. But I never really confirmed that by reading it myself.

Nowadays I get my news mostly via GoogleNews, and so I read articles from all the major papers rather than just one. Since I've been doing so, I've been very surprised to find the Daily Mail's health reporting (online, at least) to be distinctive in some rather positive ways. They report a lot of stories that nobody else does - I think they were the only UK paper to report on the Lo/Alter research, for example, though only online (it was not reported anywhere in print in the UK, at all) - and they have an awful lot of quite long, and really quite compassionate, human-interest health stories, and open-minded stories about medical research. There may be some negatives in that - there's sometimes a strain of rather ill-informed conspiracy theory there too, and a tendency to just print anything - but there are plenty of positives in that as well. They are certainly not afraid to disagree with the establishment point of view and the controls of the likes of the Science Media Centre, and indeed they are just about the only paper of which that seems to be true. So weird though it may sound, when compared with SMC-controlled reporting, there's a case to be made that they are the last remaining representative of a free press in the UK - one that can be safely ignored because "everyone knows it's all a load of rubbish".

The piece discussed in this thread is actually quite consistent with what I've read in the Mail over the last few years. In fact, I do not think there is any other UK newspaper where I would expect to see such a story. Bizarrely, The Mail is now exactly where I would expect to find a piece like this. It has been a real shock, because if one were to go by the received wisdom, one would expect the above article to come from the Mirror or the Guardian. But it did not. The fact is, it did come from the Daily Mail, and as a regular reader of their online articles about health issues, that does not surprise me at all. Maybe there's some terrible stuff in there as well - I don't really doubt that there is, and I just never see it - but I'd recommend first-hand evidence over received wisdom in this matter; if anyone can produce Rod Liddle-style health articles from the Daily Mail, as evidence, then I would reconsider my assessment...

Jarod

I really hope David Cameron is a bad guy, because if not this is the worst type of manipulation imaginable.

Imagine David was actually trying to resist the cabal, and they forced through this garbage and put his name on it.

The end result, is you throw out the good try trying to help because of some deceptive article..

They way the media works these days is anybody in the secret society is protected, when an article this nasty comes out against one of their puppets, it is more likely the puppet (David Cameron) pissed off the cabal. Messing with Rupert Murdoch is definitely messing with the cabal as you can see from my earlier post.

Jarod

So I had always been led to believe. But I never really confirmed that by reading it myself.

Nowadays I get my news mostly via GoogleNews, and so I read articles from all the major papers rather than just one. Since I've been doing so, I've been very surprised to find the Daily Mail's health reporting (online, at least) to be distinctive in some rather positive ways. They report a lot of stories that nobody else does - I think they were the only UK paper to report on the Lo/Alter research, for example, though only online (it was not reported anywhere in print in the UK, at all) - and they have an awful lot of quite long, and really quite compassionate, human-interest health stories, and open-minded stories about medical research. There may be some negatives in that - there's sometimes a strain of rather ill-informed conspiracy theory there too, and a tendency to just print anything - but there are plenty of positives in that as well. They are certainly not afraid to disagree with the establishment point of view and the controls of the likes of the Science Media Centre, and indeed they are just about the only paper of which that seems to be true. So weird though it may sound, when compared with SMC-controlled reporting, there's a case to be made that they are the last remaining representative of a free press in the UK - one that can be safely ignored because "everyone knows it's all a load of rubbish".

The piece discussed in this thread is actually quite consistent with what I've read in the Mail over the last few years. In fact, I do not think there is any other UK newspaper where I would expect to see such a story. Bizarrely, The Mail is now exactly where I would expect to find a piece like this. It has been a real shock, because if one were to go by the received wisdom, one would expect the above article to come from the Mirror or the Guardian. But it did not. The fact is, it did come from the Daily Mail, and as a regular reader of their online articles about health issues, that does not surprise me at all. Maybe there's some terrible stuff in there as well - I don't really doubt that there is, and I just never see it - but I'd recommend first-hand evidence over received wisdom in this matter; if anyone can produce Rod Liddle-style health articles from the Daily Mail, as evidence, then I would reconsider my assessment...

I value your opinion and hope you are right and the bad guys are getting pitched overboard. Instead of them tricking us in to throwing the good guys overboard.

Enid

The bad guys will get ditched - not political necessarily - those who distort real research/findings in the medical world will.

Mark wrote: if anyone can produce Rod Liddle-style health articles from the Daily Mail, as evidence, then I would reconsider my assessment...

Mark, the Daily Mail has been denigrating sick and disabled citizens as benefit scroungers for quite a few years now so many of the Daily Mails vicious articles have been hi-lighted by the Black Triangle Campaign

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

QUOTE, Daily Mail, January 2012:
Rod Liddle: My new year's resolution for 2012 was to become disabled. Nothing too serious, maybe just a bit of a bad back or one of those newly invented illnesses which make you a bit peaky for decades fibromyalgia, or ME I think we should all pretend to be disabled for a month or so, claim benefits and hope this persuades the authorities to sort out the mess. "

@ Mark I most definitely read that grotesque article and statement by Rod Liddle, along with other obscene statements by him (denigrating the charity Mencap and denying the rate of hate crimes against sick and disabled citizens) in the print version of the Daily Mail in late January 2012. It was one of the most shocking attacks against sick and disabled citizens (and especially targeting ME sufferers) of the last decade by a UK national newspaper. I was pretty upset and discussed it with my father.

I do not normally read the print version of the Daily Mail, but I was staying with my father after my mothers death, and the Daily Mail is the paper he has delivered. I had no other access to news as I was out in the country at the time and not online.

I can assure you that Rod Liddles disgusting article in the Daily Mail was an unrestrained attack against sick and disabled UK citizens, especially targeting ME and fibromyalgia sufferers.

This article did not only appear in the Sun it was in the Print version of the Mail, but not in the online version of the Mail (and so is not on record online I suggest you try your local library for records of the paper version of the Mail, January 2012)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guardian Article by Frances Ryan Monday 30tthJanuary:

Rod Liddle's attack on disability cannot be ignored

By presenting disabled people as scroungers Liddle has done a lasting damage. We must help the public see us as we really are.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/30/rod-liddle-attack-disability

: My new year's resolution for 2012 was to become disabled. Nothing too serious, maybe just a bit of a bad back or one of those newly invented illnesses which make you a bit peaky for decades fibromyalgia, or ME I think we should all pretend to be disabled for a month or so, claim benefits and hope this persuades the authorities to sort out the mess. "

@ Mark I do suggest that you far more carefully check out the Daily Mails hate speech articles against sick and disabled citizens from the PRINT articles of the paper in the last 5 years.

LISTEN TO THIS ATTACK ON ME SUFFERERS! Rod calls ME "a newly invented illness, that was first mentioned in 1987"

AND an interview that further highlights Rod Liddles ignorant and grotesquely ill informed SPECIFIC attack on people with ME and Fibromyalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh6ksN5JWCw

Rod Liddle is intent on attacking sick people with ME as "feigning" illness! And he most definitely wrote a vile article in January 2012 specifically attacking ME and Fifromyalgia sufferers in the Daily Mail this January.

How many predatory cruel cowards are there out there who are feeding on, preying on, and attacking sick ME sufferers!

As someone who has survived near-death from ME and near-death from neglect, and near-death from persecution - PLEASE WAKE UP! ME patients! - the patients who end up dead are too sick to post nice debates on forums - as I was for a full decade. Frankly the complacency of some of the ME community makes my blood run cold.

Mark

The Liddle article was definitely in The Sun on the date you mentioned. I don't want to question what you've said but it seems quite extraordinary and rather unlikely that the same column would also appear in the Daily Mail. I've just done some googling and can't find any reference to it appearing in the Mail. It's been much discussed and criticised, and all the criticisms I've just read say that it was in The Sun; no mention anywhere of it being in the Daily Mail. The only references to Rod Liddle and the Daily Mail that I can find through google are two separate stories in the Mail, within the last 12 months, attacking Liddle regarding other issues.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2014419/Rod-Liddle-cheated-days-wedding.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1243845/Former-Today-editor-Rod-Liddle-racist-posts-football-supporters-website.html

It may be that the online and print versions of the Mail are completely different; very often online stories aren't in the print versions of newspapers. And I might check out the print version in the library as you suggest, next time I'm passing, but I can't find anything online, in the extensive discussion of Liddle's article, saying that it appeared in the Mail as well.

Bob

I believe that the online version of the Mail is run as a separate entity, and it has a fairly independent separate online editor (independent in the sense that he can make his own decisions), who includes articles that would never make it into the printed version.

About two months ago, The Mail became the largest online newspaper in the world (monthly audience is about 60 million), even bigger than the NYT, so I think they've decided to broaden their appeal of the online version, purely as a hard-headed business decision, in order to reach a wider audience than the newspaper.

Mark, maybe you've never see the bad stuff, because you aren't looking for it, or searching for it?
I don't read the Mail either, so I can't say if it lives up to it's reputation, but it does have a notorious reputation, doesn't it!

I've not seen the articles you are referring to, Mark, but their PACE Trial reporting just followed the Science Media Centre line, so they weren't an independent voice with that particular subject.

The PACE Trial article had some serious errors. I've underlined the errors but basically it's a complete load of nonsense:

The Daily Mail
18th February 2011

Got ME? Fatigued patients who go out and exercise have best hope of recovery, finds study

...scientists have found encouraging people with ME to push themselves to their limits gives the best hope of recovery.

"The results showed that CBT and GET benefited up to 60 per cent of patients, and around 30 per cent of patients in each of these treatment groups said their energy levels and ability to function and returned to near normal levels."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-exercise-best-hope-recovery-finds-study.html