• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Mail: How bacterial infections in kids can cause behavioural issues

Enid

Very interesting - thanks Glynis. Can't help noticing the psyches as usual ever sceptic.

I've read a few things saying similar stuff over the last few years... but I'd also be a bit cautious of claims in the Daily Mail.

Actually, I feel pretty cautious of medical claims made anywhere.

Glynis Steele

I've read a few things saying similar stuff over the last few years... but I'd also be a bit cautious of claims in the Daily Mail.

Actually, I feel pretty cautious of medical claims made anywhere.

Hi Esther,

I agree, though Great Ormond Street Hospital do recognise PANDAS as being a real condition, as I remember a tv prgramme years ago mentioning this, and I checked it out for myself. It seems that GP's are most likely unaware of it.

SilverbladeTE

considering the potency and effects of toxins created by bacteria, it's not surprising, iirc, later investigations of tetanus toxin found it to be far more potent than botulinous toxin, talking many orders of magnitude more deadly than sarin nerve gas
so you wouldn't need much of these kind of agents to cause serious damage to the brain/nervous system, or other (other examples include fungal poisons that damage the liver/kidneys who's potency is extreme, but not nearly as hellish as botulinous or tetanus but th effects are often irreversible or continual)

I read an artcile 20+ years ago, in, of all places, Readers Digest, about a fellow who had OCD
for some reason or other, they treated him with antibiotic and found while on it, his OCD stopped...and recurred savagely if he quit the antibiotics, as the infection couldn't be permanently cleared up