• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D-Ribose smells like alchool?

PeterPositive

Hi,
I have just bought a bottle of Solgar's D-Ribose powder like this one:

bottle.jpg

Opening it up and smelling gives a distinct smell of alcohol... I was wondering if it's expected.
The bottle was sealed and the expiry date is 2017, so the product should be intact.

thanks

GhostGum

I had this drama sometime back, because the older ribose tasted like a nice sweet brown sugar, but apparently they changed the manufacturing process and now it tastes like garbage, with the smell of rubbing alcohol. I buy the healthy origins now, because it is the most tolerable and does not seem as bad as the others.

If any of these companies had any brains one of them would go back to the old product and take over the market, but I would not be surprised if they all get it from the same sources.

PeterPositive

Oh, I see :(
Well, I've tossed €60 for this ... so I'll give it a try. 1/2 tea spoon in water doesn't seem to have any taste.
I'll go low & slow and see what happens.

I am also a little concerned that it may upset my already dysbiotic gut ... Definitely going slow with this one :)
Thanks!

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Yes, the solvent smell in very common is d-ribose supplements. It seems to occur when the product ages. For instance, I have bought jars of ribose that smelled like sugar (fresh) and stored a couple of them (still sealed) for approximately 1.5 years. Then those formerly fresh smelling crystals then smelled like solvents. It does not seem to be toxic and does not affect the potency of the product. Its just an older batch. I personally would take it anyways.

I can suggest that Swanson usually has very fresh jars - fine crystals, nice smell, no clumping - of BioEnergy d-ribose for good prices. It can be very cheap - I recently got some on sale for $17.99 for 300 grams. Seeking Health sells the same thing for $59.95. Swanson does not announec their sales but if you check the product page frequently you can suddenly find it for $22.99 or $17.99 if you are lucky.

Last edited:

Oberon

PeterPositive

Well... my SIBO really doesn't like D-Ribose at all :ill::rolleyes:
Worst reaction in a couple of years. And I've only taken half a tea spoon! o_O

I don't think I could reproduce a similar reaction even by eating a couple of bananas covered in white sugar!