• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D-Ribose - can excessive use cause determental Amyloid proteins in the brain?

Mary

Moderator Resource
However, I did find this statement in another study:

This is only an association and gives no indication of causation, but it might be worth seeking out any studies that strongly suggest causal links.

I will never touch d-ribose again as it had horrible effects on me. I took
2 x 5g a day, but only for a few days.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting study - but it's not surprising to me that diabetics would have abnormally high levels of d-ribose, as they do with other sugars. So perhaps diabetics should avoid d-ribose as with other sugars. And it is probably a good idea to see if there are any other studies on non-diabetics and problems with d-ribose (which I hope is not the case!)

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Interesting study - but it's not surprising to me that diabetics would have abnormally high levels of d-ribose, as they do with other sugars. So perhaps diabetics should avoid d-ribose as with other sugars. And it is probably a good idea to see if there are any other studies on non-diabetics and problems with d-ribose (which I hope is not the case!)[/quote]

There are several other threads on, or discussing, d-ribose, for example this one. Adverse effects are reported. Here is another thread.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Interesting study - but it's not surprising to me that diabetics would have abnormally high levels of d-ribose, as they do with other sugars. So perhaps diabetics should avoid d-ribose as with other sugars. And it is probably a good idea to see if there are any other studies on non-diabetics and problems with d-ribose (which I hope is not the case!)

There are several other threads on, or discussing, d-ribose, for example this one. Adverse effects are reported. Here is another thread.[/quote]

Okay, I didn't realize there was so much controversy re d-ribose. I didn't realize some reacted so badly to it, but as you can see from your links it does help many people a lot. But it's good to know the other side of the coin. For me, it's been one of the few things that has noticeably increased my energy and that has been worth the money to take. But I can't take certain things other people do - we all react differently. Some people increased their energy a lot by high-dose thiamine and this was not good for me at all. I pay close attention to how my body reacts when I introduce something new and that seems to be one of the best ways to determine if something is good for me or not. I know it's not scientific, but it works - I'm better off than I was 5 years ago and 10 years ago and 15 years ago and so on ..

I've been taking CoQ10 for a long time with no noticeable effect but a test showed my levels were low so I take it.

Several months ago I tried cutting out all the mito supplements I've been taking for many years, wondering if they were continuing to help as I seem to have reached a plateau. And I found out in short order that I did indeed need them - I felt worse without them - so added them back in.

Any ways, thanks for the info - it's always better to have more information --