• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D-dimer test to check biofilm busters?

In the past I saw an integrative MD who used blood fibrinogen level to gauge whether oral enzymes to treat biofilm were working. Above 275 and she said it indicated the enzymes weren't working. I looked up the pathways for fibrinogen and learned that she was wrong. Bacteria form biofilm by taking existing fibrinogen and converting it to fibrin using clotting factors. So it is an upstream molecule that isn’t affected by enzyme ingestion. I suspected it was a poor marker given that her figure of 275 was within the normal reference range. Wobenzyme’s mechanism of action must destroy the clotting factors for some bacteria.

I think a blood test that might work would be D-dimer which is elevated when fibrin is raised. If anyone is treating for bacterial infections that have biofilm (lyme, etc) and could request this test I would be very interested in seeing if it works. Please post results and observations here.

Another thing I noticed is that when enzyme dose was correct it triggered herxheimer reaction about 1 hour after ingestion. So use this as a second gauge. I had good results with Wobenzyme.