• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cytomegalovirus

wastwater

Hi,does anyone know if its possible to test positive for cytomegalovirus then negative,i thought once you had it the antibody test would always show positive even if its not active.Could it of been a false positive?any input thanks.

vamah

Or a false negative. It could also be that your negative doesn't mean you have no antibodies, but just below the level they test for active infection.

wastwater

I wondered if the test could cross react with a different herpes virus or pick up something that looks like cytomegalovirus

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
Hi,

I have no experience with CMV, but, when I was young ( long time ago) I was positive for EBV and HHV6 and now, with a blood test we didn't see anything.... We had to do a biopsy ( stomach) to see that EBV and HHV6 are still there...
The blood test shows no antibodies... But the biopsy well. It seems that it was because the viruses were asleep. Cross my fingers...

Have a nice day

Clodomir