• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crying makes fatigue go away for like half an hour

I've not found that for myself.

You've mentioned your health problems only being quite short-term, and starting with a difficult sexual experience... could it be that the shock, strain and upset from this has led to you feeling run down and needing to recuperate? Hopefully this is the sort of thing that, with some time and self-care, you might just naturally improve from? Really sorry to hear that you've gone through this difficult experience. If you do find that crying leaves you feeling better, maybe that is a sign you would benefit from some extra emotional care at the moment? Best wishes with everything.

Christopher

What's up with that? Anyone noticed that too ?
Everytime after I cry with tears I feel normal! For like 15-30 mins
happened to me when i was at my dads very toxic moldy house. assume i detoxed a bit from the tears or crying just moved some stagnant energy around. only lasted like you said a short time.

pattismith

hope this article may make you understand what happen in your head/body when crying which could explain what you feel:

"First of all, there are significant levels of stress hormones, such as cortisol, that our system is flooded with during times of emotional upheaval. Our system goes into "fight or flight" status, and our bodies respond with heavy breathing and increased heart rate, due to the cortisol's multiple effects, including general vasodilation.
Cortisol is a steroid hormone, more specifically a glucocorticoid, which is produced by the zona fasciculata of the adrenal cortex.[1] It is released in response to stressand a low level of blood glucose. (Wiki)
OK, so our body and brain have just responded to our emotional crisis by freaking out and releasing huge levels of cortisol: we now have reduced levels of blood to our internal organs and all non-muscular/cardiovascular/cerebral systems, and our system is on "standby" while we "run from the sabre-toothed tiger".Systems on this "standby" mode include: anything in the parasympathic nervous system.

https://www.quora.com/Medicine-and-Healthcare-Why-do-we-get-headaches-when-we-cry

it could be a good information for you to know that Cortisol released and vasoldilatation improve your condition.

Are you suffering from vasoconstriction and low cortisol?

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
For the first 12 years of my illness I suffered from severe depression. I would take myself off to bed for a few hours sleep and the depression would lift.

I've never heard of depressive symptoms responding to rest/sleep.

Have to add; since my physical symptoms got much worse around 1997 I haven't had a single episode of depressive symptoms despite being much more physically incapacitated and out of work.

Shoshana

Northern USA
@herpesbaby
If I don't know where to put one of my posts, or topics,
then I put it in the section called "Members Only General CFS / ME Discussion "
It is up near the top of the list of forums.
I don't know if this will be helpful for you, or for other people.

About your topic, I know I get the 'normal' release, from crying, but have not considered it less fatigue. Actually I am usually more fatigued afterwards, but some relief overall.

notmyself

crying realease stress, also it removes toxins..maybe that's why you feel better.After reading you story story herpes baby, it looks to me more like emotional trauma what you are going on..that sexual experience you describe can have huge emotional repercussion,losing the job aswell..You can see what is going on with the herpes infection,and see what can be done also . you feel sick for less that 3 months, why you already think you have this monstrous disease me/cfs??..It will affect you even more emotionally.In your place i will check what going on with the infection,if its still active and read absolutely nothing about me/cfs, forget about this ilness for few months//is symptoms linger and get worse wihtout explanation come back here..but right now it's not good for you to think about this ilness.Trust me with this !!

herpesbaby

crying realease stress, also it removes toxins..maybe that's why you feel better.After reading you story story herpes baby, it looks to me more like emotional trauma what you are going on..that sexual experience you describe can have huge emotional repercussion,losing the job aswell..You can see what is going on with the herpes infection,and see what can be done also . you feel sick for less that 3 months, why you already think you have this monstrous disease me/cfs??..It will affect you even more emotionally.In your place i will check what going on with the infection,if its still active and read absolutely nothing about me/cfs, forget about this ilness for few months//is symptoms linger and get worse wihtout explanation come back here..but right now it's not good for you to think about this ilness.Trust me with this !!
My intuition tells me it is the best advice I've received on here. Thank you!
But to answer your question, I assumed its cfs, because I am extremely fatigued and my sleep is unrefreshing.

But to answer your question, I assumed its cfs, because I am extremely fatigued and my sleep is unrefreshing.
A common misconception, unfortunately, largely due to the name. ME is characterized by Post-Exertional Malaise (PEM), which means that normal amounts of exertion make us pretty sick starting approximately 24 hours later. That can involve the onset or exacerbation of immune, neurological, muscular, and other symptoms. Basically it feels like getting hit with a flu, though usually without a fever.

If there's no PEM, you might have a post-viral fatigue, which would typically resolve within several months.

bombsh3ll

Times I feel like crying I force myself not to as with severe POTS I tell myself I literally cannot afford wasting fluid on tears! I have never noticed it making me feel any better though.

Yes I feel normal for 15 min too after crying but need to cry 10 times a day or cry for an hour and feel somewhat normal the rest of the day