• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Critterina's Histamine Intolerance Journal

Johnmac

Thanks Critterina.

I think the reason that people focus on tomatoes and spinach is that fermented products have a lot of complex compounds in them, and just knowing that you react to them doesn't help you narrow down what you're reacting to. And I guess that's exactly what you're finding out.

Yep, I say 'histamine' but really I don't know what amine (or other thing) is doing the damage.

However I have been flattened for a week by ferments, but never seriously affected by supposedly histaminic fruits, veges, etc.

At my worst, which was about 3 years, you could slice a tomato for a sandwich, cut one slice in quarters, and with one of the quarters, make me sick for three days.

Wow.

(I had that result with onion when I was shifting a lot of thiols around under chelation. And from eating a few bowls of my home-made yogurt more recently. Even when sensitised, tomato never seemed to bother me.)

You mentioned avocados, but as I understand, fresh avocados don't have histamines. The histamines develop as they age, particularly when they have been exposed to air, as in guacamole.

I agree about the psychological symptoms. I always (before I got sick) felt that kombucha gave me a mild, pleasant "buzzed/drunk" sort of feeling that most people might get from a couple of beers.

That beats a 'dark worldview' anyway. But yes, the psychological symptoms can be awful.

(Having switched to more greens & less ferments, I then got swollen joints & social withdrawal symptomatology - maybe from the oxalates. I wonder about a link between oxalates & autism.)

One of my problems is that I was brainwashed - by decades of health writers - into thinking that fermented food was really good for you. Which it is if you're not amine-reactive. But for those of us who are, it can really do some damage.

Thanks Critterina...

Critterina

OK, so it's been over a year since my last post here. Still working on it.

I did 4 fasts this year: January, May, June, and last week. I'm narrowing down the amount of Mg citrate to clean the GI tract. I think that 2 tbsp. every 6 hours, starting with the last meal and going 3 doses or to clear fluid might work for me, but that is so individual.

October 15 I saw an integrative medicine doc who has not only heard of Ehlers-Danlos hypermobility, but treated patients with that for histamine intolerance. He says he often sees a connection to prior mold exposure. I go back for a plan of action in 2 weeks. I'm so hoping to get past this, and this is my first real hope beyond random experiments.

Minor symptoms after an Adobo burrito (half of one) at Seis Kitchen last night (second day of eating). But worth it.

Critterina

Got my plan of action and he thinks it's MCAS. Whoever thought I had mast cell issues, this doctor agrees with you. No diagnosis yet, though, as it involves a questionnaire he forgot to give me and some labs.