• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crippling IBS

physicsstudent13

I'm having bad IBS attacks with exhaustion and have to run to the bathroom after eating. what happens is the intestine starts releasing neurotransmitters. I started taking glutamine again and will start fiber, probiotics maybe. I'm on berberine 2000mg/day and Bactrim/doxy. I guess you need a water filter or spring water to be safe is the prebiotic inulin good? how is piping rock?
charcoal seems to help a lot in 3g doses

Grigor

Hey not sure what are your meds are but I have IBS-D. And sometimes it flares up like crazy. Causing exhaustion but also anxienty . Which kind of vanishes when I let it in the pot :)
Today I tried some 5-htp and both the anxiety and the D kind of became less. Worth a try ??

physicsstudent13

it's kind of strange that it causes exhaustion, I'd always have this with a bowel movement for 19 years after. why does it do that? now I have endocrine problems too since starting testosterone also
what do you take for IBS? I tried glutamine but then I was still getting nauseous maybe from liver damage or IBS-C/D. I had one Crohn antibody high, but the other was normal >0
I cut out the chinese food and started eating at Subway when I can afford it

physicsstudent13

do probiotics, prebiotic inulin help? I'm on bentyl and don't know the side effects... it's terrible to be crippled by exhaustion from IBS and sleep apnea at the same time.

acer2000

Avoid FODMAPs in your diet.

This has helped me. FODMAPs are certain types of carbohydrates that can exacerbate SIBO. It is thought that SIBO accounts for a certain percentage of IBS cases. There is a lot of info on the internet and lists of foods to avoid.

adreno

PR activist
do probiotics, prebiotic inulin help? I'm on bentyl and don't know the side effects... it's terrible to be crippled by exhaustion from IBS and sleep apnea at the same time.
Prebiotics can exacerbate SIBO, so I would avoid them for now.

Grigor

@physicsstudent13

As I said 5-htp. Check it out. I take it in the late afternoon. Day time makes me a little too spaced out for the moment. But my IBS-D calms down from it and so do I

physicsstudent13

5-htp is supposed to be bad for the heart?
I've heard that gluten products can cause IBS problems, maybe I have to cut out any bread or pastries, pizza? I feel a lot better after not eating chinese food and fried chicken and taking bentyl
my upper stomach still kind of burns when I only drink liquids despite being on acid blockers nexium for years and I have vomitting and nausea sometimes. maybe it was being around cockaroaches and insecticide

Grigor

Not sure if it's bad for the heart. But it calms my intestines down. Can't take it every day but you could try and see what it does.

physicsstudent13

thanks for all the replies! I'm on protonix too and avoiding strange foods has helped. I have to be careful with any meats even from supermarket since they go bad quickly.
so how do you know you have gluten disease? maybe it's best to just not eat any carbs, breads, dairy, stick to a paleo meat and veggies diet? I'm just so exhausted from IBS C and sleep apnea. the probiotics don't seem to help the nausea these days and I still seem to have GERD damage. I started taking iron since I was low and anemic before