• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Create your own Infared Sauna for cheap

Allyson

I know two people who had good experience with firzone far infrared Sauna, and even if it does emit electromagnetic field, I think the benefit absolutely outweighs the risk. I probably will buy this Sauna, because saunas where I live are very expensive like 15bucks and more for couple of hours.

Plus I also prefer the privacy.
As for the manual, I have not enough space nor the energy to build it.

Saunas are often said to be an excellent way of detoxifying that's why I want to try it out to reduce the burden in hope to improve my energy and brain. Dr. Myhill even did testing on toxin load before and after Sauna use and the results are very promising if what she says is really true.

what does "detoxifying " mean exactly please? never had an expalination i find plausible- I thought our livers and kidneys did the detoxing for us?
what are the toxins that allegedly com out in a sauna???
cheers

ally

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
what does "detoxifying " mean exactly please? never had an expalination i find plausible- I thought our livers and kidneys did the detoxing for us?
what are the toxins that allegedly com out in a sauna???
cheers

ally

Yes, that is the job of the liver and kidneys--and also the skin. Saunas enhance the skins ability to excrete toxins. Since we are sick, the liver and kidneys can be overwhelmed and saunas can take some of the burden off them.
This is especially true if we are doing a protocol that causes herxheimer reactions -- then we are creating more toxic waste than the liver and the kidneys will be able to process quickly:

The Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction is a reaction to endotoxins released by the death of harmful organisms within the body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarisch-Herxheimer_reaction

Sushi

Mij

@Sushi I have yet to find test results proving that we can release toxins through our skin. Do you know of any?

amaru7

@Sushi I have yet to find test results proving that we can release toxins through our skin. Do you know of any?
Read through Dr. Myhill website, she had testing done before and after Sauna use with the result of reduced toxin load (dunno the link, but you should be able to find it)

Mij

I read through Dr. Myhill's detox explanation. I'm still unsure what test she performed to test the actual toxins released from the skin. We can lose important minerals via sweating, but I'm wondering if it also applies to "toxins".

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

I have read of tests but don't remember anything about them. Basically I just feel better after an FIR. Hope you find something definitive.

Sushi

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I thought that I learned that the skin was an elimination/detoxification organ in high school physiology (but then I do have cognitive dysfuntion).

liverock

Well I don't think Far Infared is extremely toxic or anything, they both work great! I have just heard a little bit of other issues regarding far infared though, none of it seems disastrous or anything though...

Always start with a low time to start with in a far infrared sauna and build up slowly. I started using one @20 mins x3 times a week and ended up in A&E after the first week because of the large amount of toxins released into the bloodstream.

liverock

I'm curious as to what it can actually detox though.
This study shows ammonia excretion is quite high in a sauna. This helps with lowering the amount of Tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) which is required in the Urea cycle to get rid of ammonia. This spares BH4 for use further on in the methylation cycle. You could say a sauna helps with increasing methylation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1845745

I have used an IR sauna for years. When I first got it, I was advised by my physician to add the near infrared lamps. These are easy to purchase at most home stores (I bought mine at Home Depot). I was able to get the bulbs and also the lamps to hold them (these were called "brooder" lamps at the store, and are commonly used to keep farm animals (poultry mostly) warm in winter).

Some may remember these as the red "heat" lamps that used to be seen in hotel bathrooms years ago. Anyway, I use mine for exactly what liverock suggests, that is to remove ammonia, since I have the CBS snp. I do know that my wiping towel does smell strongly of ammonia when finished. I have preferred to address the overabundance of ammonia using a sauna, as opposed to using something like yucca, as some suggest.

I had to slowly increase the amount of time, and found that supplementing with minerals has helped also (again, only if you can tolerate these), as minerals are also lost (according to my doctor at the time). My experience seemed to validate this, because as soon as I added in the minerals, I no longer experienced the light headedness and energy drain that had occurred following sauna use.

acrosstheveil

oh wow, i think i'm going to build a nice wooden enclosure and do this when I move to our new place in a couple months!

knackers323

does anyone know where to purchace the globes and lamps that can be used in Australia. eg have the correct cord for the power outlets?