• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crappy GPs and NHS in the UK

Bob

He was disappearing into a ditch and catching rodents in the drainage tunnel....perhaps thats where I got whatever Bartonella strain I have :sluggish: . They found one strain in Brown Rats in the UK which is fatal in humans.

At night he was going to next door neighbours garden in taking shelter in the cat shelter that my neighbour had built for his own cats. His cats were coming in drenched because my cat woudln't share their home with them. lol

:cat: very naughty kitty! :cat:

:)

Esther12

I just want to add that, while there are a lot of vile doctors about (as with any profession), I think that the poor quality of a lot of the research around CFS, and the way in which a lot of results are spun to them, does make it hard for them not to be rubbish with CFS.

They're not going to have time to look closely of critically at research data, but will instead work on the assumption that they can trust the more general reviews of information given to them.

Also, the biopsychosocial approach to CFS is shit for patients, but can also end up putting a lot of blame on doctors. eg: If a GP has been told that CFS manifests as a result of patients being encouraged into a sick role by their doctor, then that sets up a difficult emotional situation for them, and which which is likely to lead to some feelings of guilt and resentment (an there's also plenty of misleading research which could play in to any desire they have to blame their patients). Also... there's not much GPs can do for CFS patients, so that's not ideal either.

None of which is to say that there are not GPs who are just arse-holes, and behave in a repulsive manner - just that for a lot of okay-ish GPs who would normally be good, CFS is particularly likely to lead to problems.

golden

It's time to start taking cameras in to appts and putting them up on Youtube...

I am never going into another consultation without privately recording it. But I think sharing it with the public is the bit when it becomes illegal -....

PhoenixDown

I just want to add that, while there are a lot of vile doctors about (as with any profession), I think that the poor quality of a lot of the research around CFS, and the way in which a lot of results are spun to them, does make it hard for them not to be rubbish with CFS...
I hit the like button, but I would never place sole blame on researchers. I think Godwin's law may come into play.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with this.

My GP isn't up on a lot of this stuff either but if I bring papers to him he'll read up and if he's not confident to prescribe, he'll refer me on. Do you think there'd be any mileage in asking for a referral to an immunologist?

Alternatively, is it worth considering finding a new GP? Maybe even within the same practice? Do you know any local PWME who you could ask if they can recommend their own GP?

Many years ago, my then GP told me that he didn't know anything about ME and since he didn't have many such patients, wasn't going to find anything out, either. Lovely! I switched to a doctor at another practice who had been recommended by non-ME friends and she did her best. Not the same as having someone completely clued-up but certainly not a roadblock to treatment.

I had a GP who, when I did some research and printed out a summary for her to help her understand my polyuria, stated that the subject "didn't float her boat" and that she was entitled to have some leisure time. As if I was expecting her to read it during her time off, which I wasn't. It wouldn't have taken long. Maybe it was just too scientific for her, and she was too embarrassed to admit it. But she was really hostile and aggressive. I just needed help with a health problem which was messing up my life and which she didn't seem to understand or care about.

The only GP I can remember who seemed to be any good, and I have had many, was a locum whom I only saw once. A colleague had a similarly high opinion of him.

And they get paid so much!

I finally gave up on them 3 years ago after an acute illness which put me in hospital and which they never diagnosed correctly. I worked it out myself in the end.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I had a GP who, when I did some research and printed out a summary for her to help her understand my polyuria, stated that the subject "didn't float her boat" and that she was entitled to have some leisure time. As if I was expecting her to read it during her time off, which I wasn't. It wouldn't have taken long. Maybe it was just too scientific for her, and she was too embarrassed to admit it. But she was really hostile and aggressive. I just needed help with a health problem which was messing up my life and which she didn't seem to understand or care about.

The only GP I can remember who seemed to be any good, and I have had many, was a locum whom I only saw once. A colleague had a similarly high opinion of him.

And they get paid so much!

I finally gave up on them 3 years ago after an acute illness which put me in hospital and which they never diagnosed correctly. I worked it out myself in the end.

Appalling! I feel very lucky that my current one is good, as was my previous one. It shouldn't be a matter of luck: we should all have good care.