Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Coyne: Is mindfulness training the new “gateway drug” to quack breast cancer treatments?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Jun 8, 2016.

  1. Bob

    Bob

    Messages:
    10,703
    Likes:
    34,254
    England (south coast)
    Coyne's latest blog...

    Is mindfulness training the new “gateway drug” to quack breast cancer treatments?
    James Coyne
    June 8th
    https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...o-improve-immune-function-in-cancer-patients/

    Here's the beginning of the blog...
     
    Woolie, Dolphin, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  2. Large Donner

    Large Donner Senior Member

    Messages:
    866
    Likes:
    3,865
    Woolie, ahmo, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  3. wastwater

    wastwater Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,070
    Likes:
    726
    uk
    Are these todays treatment options think better or a magic box.
     
  4. IreneF

    IreneF Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes:
    2,575
    San Francisco
    Stress reduction is undoubtably a good idea when you've gotten a cancer diagnosis, but it's not going to cure cancer. It does set you up for self-blame, however, and even victim-blaming by others.

    Plus places like this:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cancer-ctca-idUSBRE9250L820130306
    Which offer so-called integrative cancer care, but are really operating as integrative ATMs for the owners.
     
    Woolie and Bob like this.
  5. Dichotohmy

    Dichotohmy

    Messages:
    28
    Likes:
    53
    North State, CA
    Stress reduction does undoubtedly have a place in cancer treatment, in the sense that it's best for the patient to rest and focus on healing instead of worrying. This is on the presumption that worrying will interfere with resting, not on anxiety precipitating somatic conditions.

    Even though its impossible to quantify, say there's a 5% improvement in prognosis by the patient applying stress reduction techniques that let him or her enjoy a state more conducive to healing. That would be a 5% worth persuing. Where stress reduction techniques become adsurd is when one assumes a these techniques are bonafied treatment that can take up the other 95% of the prognosis.

    Thankfully, stress reduction and other psychological techniques are throughly discredited as being able to cure cancer, and even though the article rightfully points out MBSR getting more popular for all kinds of conditions, including cancer, there hasn't been a paradigm shift to full absurdity that MBSR is seen as credibly curing cancer. At best MBSR plays a subtle and small role in improvement, but that small role coyld be worthwhile.
     

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page