• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coyne: A systematic review of mindfulness-based stress reduction for fibromyalgia that I really like

Bob

Recent blog.
This is more about trial methodology than fibro...

A systematic review of mindfulness-based stress reduction for fibromyalgia that I really like
James Coyne
1st June 2016
https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...eduction-for-fibromyalgia-that-i-really-like/

I am preparing a keynote address, Mindfulness Training for Physical Health Problems, to deliver at theWorld Congress of Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies in Melbourne on Friday, June 24, 2016. I have been despairing about the quality of both the clinical trials and systematic reviews of mindfulness treatments that I have been encountering.

Mindfulness training, mindfulness-based cognitive therapy, and mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) are hot topics. That means that studies get published with obvious methodological problems ignored, and premature and exaggerated claims are rewarded. Articles are prone to spin and confirmation bias, not only in the reporting the results of a particular study, but also in what past studies get cited or are buried, depending on whether they support all the enthusiasm.

Last edited: