• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cowden Protocol for chronic enteroviral infection?

Hi everyone,

I recently tested negative for Lyme but positive for coxsackie and CMV. I have various pathogenic gut bugs (blastocystis hominis, and others) and tested positive for pneunomiae bacterium.

My doc is recommending the Cowden Protocol as a broad brush treatment... however everything I am reading, especially on PR, is suggesting Oxymatrine / Equilibrant is a better path for chronic enteroviral infection... which seems to be one of the main underlying causes of my health issues.

I think I should probably start on Equilibrant to see how I go before committing to the effort and expense of the Cowden Protocol.

Any advice or people with similar experiences of either treatment very gratefully received.

Thanks.

JES

Cowden protocol has no evidence to be of any help against chronic enteroviral infections. Naturally it might help to eliminate bacterial co-infections if you have those, but the herbs that Cowden uses have no meaningful direct anti-enterovirus effects, at least not in vivo.

MartinK

Hi @HandbrakeOn !
Im on Cowden for 3 month (go full support program) but what I saw and read - its great for Lyme and some bacterial co-infections (JES write about it) and great for detox in full range.
I think its too early to say some verdict in my cause with Cowden, but I felt two big reactions (one ends in hospital with vomiting)

I combine Cowden with HBOT and with gut/SIBO treatment.

some symptoms have definitely improved - I have almost none PEM now, little bit more energy, no brain fog, better mood...only OI is still crazy, maybe worse.

I think, for some cases will be Cowden great and better for body than atbx.

Martin

bertiedog

I did take them for a long time and I think they helped to get rid of some yeasts and also other bacteria because I did improve. However it was a very expensive protocol and I wouldn't spend money on it again. I would stick to Stephen Buhner recommendations because they are a lot cheaper.

Pam

Thanks everyone. Really useful to hear your thoughts and experiences.

My sense is that given I don't have Lyme, the Cowden Protocol could provide some overall system support / antibiotic support against things like pneunomiae bacterium, any other co-infections, and general detox/immune support but if my initial focus is enteroviruses then my doc is potentially pointing me in the wrong direction and I should be looking at Oxymatrine / Equilibrant and other antiviral treatment options.

Cowden Protocol is problematic as they are just herbs with some slight alterations to produce a product no one else sells and it is then grossly over-priced. To top it off the slight alterations have no scientific backing to support the changes. Follow Stephen Buhner's books as a cheaper and more effective approach.

Starlight

I did take them for a long time and I think they helped to get rid of some yeasts and also other bacteria because I did improve. However it was a very expensive protocol and I wouldn't spend money on it again. I would stick to Stephen Buhner recommendations because they are a lot cheaper.

Pam
I have been reading old posts on cp. I was reading some from 2015 and am wondering if you have kept the improvements you had made at that time. After a long time on antibiotics for Lyme and confections I'm as bad as ever, housebound often bed. How did you make the transition from Cowden to Buhner. Were you in a reason able place when starting Buhner. Did you just use the books. Would love some improvement.,as we all would. Thanks hope you are in a good place.