• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could Suprax Cause Leaky Gut and ME/CFIDS?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I have a question for any scientists, doctors or anyone familiar with leaky gut. I took several weeks of an antibiotic called Suprax several years ago before it was taken off the market. One of the reasons it was discontinued was because it was causing serious intestinal infections. It was killing off too much of one type of bacteria and allowing another bacteria to overgrow. My doctor told me it was also causing some strange immune responses.

I didn't really think much about it back then. Recently, I started ready Plague. There is a paragraph about how Dr. Montagnier, the scientist who discovered HIV, believed that Autism was caused by missing intestinal bacteria or an overgrowth of certain bacteria (leaky gut).

Since this is also a theory on the cause of ME/CFIDS, I am now wondering if antibiotics could cause both Autism and ME/CFIDS? Suprax was a particularly strong antibiotic that was known to have killed off intestinal bacteria permanently.

I did take it right before I developed Fibromyalgia, but had CFS before that. However, I had taken years of antibiotics before that because of a defect in my sinuses.

Does anyone here think overuse of antibiotics could be the cause of Autism or ME/CFIDS? Is that possible?