• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could low T cause exersize intolerance?

drob31

I know EI is different than true PEM, but it seems really similar. I've also read Low T, ironically can cause hairloss because it opposes DHT. Could low Free T and HPA-axis issues (caused by... low T?) cause CFS like symptoms?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Low T is offen meant as low testosterone. That's what I thought so maybe clarify thyroid? Do you mean thyroid? I don't know now. I'm easily confused. Lol.

Gondwanaland

@Gondwanaland I thought that but then he said low T free so I thought thyroid. And HPA axis threw me. So the context still didn't help me, an admitted dumb ass who is easily confused.
OK now I am confused too, but there is also free testosterone

and to answer his title question, to me it is pretty obvious that both low thyroid and low testosterone cause exercise intolerance

and capital T is always testosterone

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Looks likereferring to testosterone as it also mentions dht which is also usually mentioned when talking about sex hormones.

Low testosterone can reduce peoples ability to recovery normally from activity etc. High dose testosterone that athletes use, helps them recover from exercise much quicker than they would without. So if one had low T than it would make it harder than normal to recover.

I think for most people its worth trying and can help people feel better. But if one has cfs than it isnt a cure. If it does cure one than probably one doesn't have cfs but a hypogonodal disorder??

drob31

It could be all connected, because infection can cause high SHBG, and that would cause low free T, without being hypogonadal. The PEM symptoms would really be exersize intolerance caused by very low free T. I'm not saying ME people have this, but it would be a "flavor" of CFS. There would still be some mysterious root cause.