August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cost of goods imported to Australia going up - including supplements

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by lafarfelue, Jun 20, 2018.

1. lafarfelue

lafarfelue Senior Member

Australia
    Thought this important enough to post about, considering how many of us import supplements to reduce the often overwhelming cost of managing our illnesses.

Starting July 1, 2018 the 10% goods and services tax (GST) will be applied to all imported goods to Australia.

It's a bummer. I can imagine that for some this will mean the difference between being able to take certain supplements and not being able to afford them at all.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    lafarfelue likes this.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Nothing like living in the nanny state. Should have the hammer and sickle instead of the union jack on the flag.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  4. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    How are they going to be able to collect the gst? Open every parcel? Charge the company or the purchaser? Get iherb to put a receipt in your order for $5 instead of the real price? So many holes in trying to collect gst. Mobile phone cover from china for $1.50, its going to cost them more to process stuff to get their 15cent gst.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  5. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    In my country they do inspect it on the arriving airport, charge a €10,- handling fee for each, and then add either 10 or 20% import tax (to be paid at handover from postal-service). Because iherb limits shipment to my country to $100, having to pay each time at least 20% on top is annoying. Though because the parcels are very small, some to regularly go through without being inspected or charged. First was very upset by so much arbitrarilyness, when I found EU-wide the import tax alone would actually be above 20% I'm glad they still haven't caught up yet ;).

lafarfelue and heapsreal like this.
  6. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Handling fee, they know how to sting you.

See more popular forum discussions.