Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cortene Peptide for MECFS? "Curative"?!

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ema, Dec 22, 2017.

1. eric_gladiator

eric_gladiator Senior Member

According to sources there are already several treatments that will be released in 2 years at the most, I do not know how reliable this may be but who told me is someone who is very up to date on the research. If this were so it would be a great relief that although it was not something definitive could help us to recover our lives

2. Dakota15

Dakota15

Midwest, USA
    Apologies if this was already mentioned in this thread, but I believe the Bateman Center in Salt Lake City will be trialing Cortene.

I reached out to be a part of this but unfortunately where I live is not within 1,000 ft in elevation that Salt Lake City is (which is 4,500 feet - where I live is under 1,000). I believe they told me that they are hoping to be signed off in June / July by the FDA to trial, so still some time before giving it a go. They also mentioned I would need to live in SLC for 3 months, which at this time I couldn't sign up for.

Fingers crossed for this pilot.

melihtas and neweimear like this.
  3. tiredowl

tiredowl

Norway, Scandinavia
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but it's possible that reducing CRH improves the leaky gut permatability, which can cause terrible brain fog.

ljimbo423 likes this.
  4. Dakota15

Dakota15

Midwest, USA
    I forget, what is CRH again?

5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    CT-38 is either very similar to, or identical to the (also 38 amino acid peptide) urocortin II.

Whether a ligand is considered an agonist or antagonist depends on the (competitive) receptor binding kinetics compared to the endogenous ligands.

It is highly likely that CT-38 is a CRF2 receptor agonist. It is true that receptors can be desensitised due to too much activity/"signal" by agonists. For example, the most common reason for the 5-HT1A receptor desensitisation noted in a variety of patient groups is antidepressant use! This desensitisation can persist over time too.

Just keep in mind, this is an agonist, not an antagonist.

This is the hypothesis for the "Model-Based Therapeutic Correction of Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis Dysfunction" by Amos Ben-Zvi, Suzanne D. Vernon, Gordon Broderick in 2009

http://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000273

The problem with that model is it doesn't match the reality of what has been found in ME patients so far. But it is still an interesting paper worth publishing.

I don't believe that this CT-38 trial will be successful, due to it being based on flawed science. But I still believe the trial should go ahead, least of which to show that the research community still has the capacity to do clinical trials.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  6. Vicki Cole

Vicki Cole Senior Member

U.k
    So why would Cortene invest 2 years of work into this if it was so simple that it won't be successful at all? No disrespect to you at all, but i don't understand why?

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Depends on what you mean by success?

At the individual level, they make money from the work that they've done and gain experience at running a clinical trial.

Also keep in mind much of the research into CT-38 was before anyone ever considered whether it would be useful in ME or not. (Some of that research involved the role of urocortin II in heart disease). This sort of momentum often leads to a wish to investigate more avenues.

8. Vicki Cole

Vicki Cole Senior Member

U.k
    By success I mean helping us. In some capacity. @Cort seems hopeful too.

Raven Mom likes this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Any speculation of mine on their motivations is merely superficial - they may greatly believe in the success of the trial. I do not.

10. Vicki Cole

Vicki Cole Senior Member

U.k
    Fair enough.
    I like to hold onto hope. Without which, it's a very scary and lonely world.

bctjr1993, JayneM, ljimbo423 and 2 others like this.
  11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    In what way?

12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    The first is that the "low cortisol" assumption has both low sensitivity when it comes to identifying CFS patients. (studies have been equivocal and no study has shown it to be a strong biomarker candidate with a ROC analysis)
    If many patients do not have low cortisol, then it it is probably not pathological.

But that aside, the model assumes that there is an alternative steady state of lower than normal cortisol and higher than normal glucocorticoid receptor expression (or plausibly, just GCr sensitivity). This has been tested in a variety of studies - GCr receptor expression was not found to be high in a study by Jason, another study found no difference in the density or affinity of glucocorticoid receptors and studies using dexamethasone tests have been equivocal.

adambeyoncelowe and Ema like this.
  13. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    adambeyoncelowe and nandixon like this.
  14. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, CT38 is possibly a slightly modified urocortin II protein.

I believe CT38 is in fact just a new name for Procter and Gamble's drug PG873637. See this post.

Ema and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  15. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    You are probably correct.

I think this paper provides more info:
    "Modifications of the human urocortin 2 peptide that improve pharmacological properties."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16476507
    (Procter and Gamble researchers)

Hip, Ema and adambeyoncelowe like this.

See more popular forum discussions.