August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cortene Peptide for MECFS? "Curative"?!

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ema, Dec 22, 2017.

1. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

I have reasons to believe that many ME/CFS patients will benefit from this therapy.

MonkeyMan and Ema like this.
  2. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

and what about rectal absorption?

3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I am not sure; absorption in the intestines is more complex. This article says that via paracellular absorption in the intestines, molecules up to 1,000 daltons can be absorbed.

This article says small amounts of proteins as large as 80,000 daltons can be absorbed in the intestines. However, the reference given in that article is this paper, and I cannot find that 80,000 figure in the paper.

pattismith likes this.
  4. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan Senior Member

@mariovitali, Can you please elaborate on what those reasons are? Thank you.

5. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

@drewmaster

Since you are a new user, i am giving you a summary of the Research i've been doing : I use Machine Learning methods to identify the most relevant biological targets responsible for ME/CFS.

In the following post, the importance of Pyruvate Dehydrogenase was suggested almost one year before Fluge and Mella :

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...e-treatment-for-cfs.37244/page-65#post-679562

However, please note also how the algorithm picks up Cortisol and Norepinephrine.

Here is another post that discusses HPA Axis :

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...e-treatment-for-cfs.37244/page-91#post-814452

I believe that a big part of ME/CFS is HPA Axis dysregulation however the root problem is the Liver for most of us. I posted here several patient Fibroscans suggesting Liver Fibrosis. I met one Fibro patient 10 days ago who had Liver biopsy that showed Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH).

Again, it is suggested -according to my theory- that all ME/CFS Patients take a Fibroscan test to assess Liver status.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Violeta, MEMum, Wayne and 4 others like this.
  6. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan Senior Member

Thanks! Looks promising to me.

mariovitali likes this.
  7. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    NOTE: I had to scroll a long way down to get to the article.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...ialed-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-soon-pt/

[​IMG]

Mary, ljimbo423, justy and 14 others like this.
  8. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

GypsyGirl, Patrick*, alex3619 and 4 others like this.
  9. PinkPanda

PinkPanda Senior Member

I don't know about this. They seem to be putting some high expectations out there..
    Does anyone understand how exactly this drug will affect stress receptors in the limbic system?
    I think the limbic system might currently be getting too little attention in medicine.

Still, although there is increased stress-sensitivity in ME/CFS, there is also evidence of a disrupted energy metabolism. I don't see how a drug that targets the response to stress in the limbic system would correct the low energy production.

I guess we'll have to see how it goes and if more detailed infos are put out there. I would still evaluate this carefully, how his theory fits all the issues of ME/CFS is not yet clear to me.
    Until now, it only seems a theory, he doesn't seem to have any proof yet that receptors in the limbic system are even altered in ME/CFS, does he?

justy, Countrygirl and pibee like this.
  10. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

Very interesting theory. But i would like to know if this abnormal stress reaction is the cause or a compensation reaction i.e. for low energy (?). But it could be the core problem in a subgroup of ME patiënts.

Countrygirl, pibee and PinkPanda like this.
  11. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

I think you need to think of it this way..

A clinical trial will not answer all of your questions. It is a bet. Oftentimes, drug developers do not know why their drug works, they just must prove that it doesn’t harm, is safe in humans to an acceptable degree, and is effective to a degree that leads the fda to approve it.

So the good news for all of us is:
    We have researchers coming at this from the bottom up like Davis, with no set theory.
    We have researchers coming at it from middle out, a theory in search of a drug, like Klimas.
    And now we have a new crew coming at this from the top down, a drug that will be tested and maybe will reveal new information in the process.

12. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

13. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

Did someone try the astressin B in the nose?
    I feel concerned about the risk of increased hair growth inside the nose :eek:

kelly8 and TreePerson like this.
  14. Murph

Murph :)

There's a whole big write-up of Cortene now over at Health Rising.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...ialed-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-soon-pt/

I'll take a tall glass of very skeptical. Sounds like profit-oriented researchers have got a drug they don't fully understand and are willing to try it on me/cfs since we're eager to say the least.

Trying to fit a peg of unknown shape into a hole of unknown shape? Let's just say if it works it will have been a great triumph over the odds.

15. Murph

Murph :)

These guys have this drug and are just desperate for something it might work on. The odds it has any effect are, at this stage, probably tiny.

But that's better than nothing, I guess!

boolybooly, Lolo, pattismith and 4 others like this.
  16. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I’ve spoken to one of the researchers, and I’d say that is not true. In my dealings, they have been very cautious about making claims and stressed several times that since there is no animal model to test, they have no idea how well it will work.

I agree it’s ultimately a long shot but I think the theory is sound and this is the only way to determine if it will be efficacious or not. Even if it only helped a subgroup, that would be worth it.

kelly8, MonkeyMan, rebar and 4 others like this.
  17. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

It’s a biotech company.. they will get funded or not based on how solid the science is by biotech VCs, or a larger pharma, or private investors. Biotech is a business, like any other, only maybe more risky. I’m not sure why you would ascribe these kinds of negative qualities to them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    MonkeyMan, Ema and GodGenghis like this.
  18. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

Ema, is the trial funded?

19. perrier

perrier Senior Member

Remember Dr Jay Goldstein. Didn't he localise issues in the brain and didn't his varied recommendations affect the limbic system.

Does anyone know anything about Mr Pereira? Where is the trial being done?

What does Dr. Ron Davis think of this? And other ME researchers?

sb4 likes this.
  20. shannah

shannah Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.