• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Correlation between H2S urine test and Epsom salt tolerance

richvank

Hi, stressman.

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread. Since suggesting the hypothesis I proposed at the beginning of this thread, I have learned a little more. When I suggested it, I was under the impression that H2S was produced in the gut only by sulfate-reducing bacteria. However, this is not the case. In fact, there are other bacteria that can ferment sulfur-containing amino acids and produce H2S in that way. Dr. de Meirleir has pointed the finger at Streptococcus and enterococcal bacteria. In fact, they may be the dominant producers of H2S in some people.

This being the case, I think it can explain why some people have high H2S, but tolerate Epsom salts very well.

However, it would seem that those who do not tolerate Epsom salts would have high H2S, because sulfate-reducing bacteria may be the H2S producers in their cases.

So now I'm wondering if there is anyone who does not tolerate Epsom salts, but has tested and not found high H2S. This would help to test this revised hypothesis.

Please give my regards to "Curly" and thank her for her input on this question.

Best regards,

Rich

Shall do Rich, thanks!

In addition to the strep and entero, prevotella (anaerobic?) is also a culprit. The recommended drug is Rifaximin, used for travellers' stomach. Unfortunately it is not available in the UK, where penicillin and metronidazole are used instead. These two wreak havoc with the normal gut flora, of course, whereas apparently the Rifaximin does not.

I like your conclusion per the above, that could prove useful to Curly in future.

I shall be reporting on her week 4 of Se 200g on the 3 P's thread next weekend. At that time we shall be introducing Mo (Moly-B).

All the best,

stressman.