• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Copper Dumping

Gondwanaland

In my recent research I read (and experienced myself) that the following stuff will deplete copper:

-oral sulfur intake (including abx like doxy)
-B3 niacin
-B6
-vit C

I experienced severe depletion after stopping oral estrogen, starting transdermal progesterone, taking abx and vit C. Symptoms are hair falling out, hair growing elsewhere in the body (esp back of tights), temporary loss of ability to stand up.

izzy

Critterina

I got my 24-hour urine test back and they said they could not do the test because the copper levels were too low to be detected (reference 15-60, no units given).I found this on copper:
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/3/859S.long
It seems for urine copper to show low, it has to be an extreme deficiency.

Let me admit I was wrong: Copper can be undetected because of low concentration due to high urine volume. I peed a lot for that test (over 3 L). My serum Cu level was fine, and probably if I could pee less, the test would have detected urine copper.

Adlyfrost

I take this awesome mulitimineral that's 2mg/Cu a day. I have a lot of copper toxic symptoms and am going to work on balance with zinc. What do ya'll think about my supplement? Is it time to look for a new one? I heard some amount of copper is recommended to keep it in balance. Any thoughts? Thanks.

This info backs up what adreno just said....

"There are other copper antagonists such as zinc, however while zinc is generally documented as such in the nutritional literature, it is not only the weakest of copper antagonists, but it's action on copper takes place only on an intestinal level, so once copper goes into storage, zinc will have no effect on lowering copper any longer."

http://www.acu-cell.com/crcu.html

I was told that zinc forms an essential component of the Metallothionein protein (which can carry copper and other metals out of body by binding to it) - so if one is deficient in zinc, you may also not have sufficient metallothionein proteins to regulate the copper in your system and transport it through your body. I don't know if it is just about blocking copper from absorbing in the gut.

My naturopath had advised me to take things more gradually, and to back off of higher doses if this kind of worsening took place. She told me that a copper dump could be experienced as worsening psychiatric symptoms and nervous system symptoms, hypersensitivity etc...

I have been taking zinc much more gradually - I prefer lozenges that are between 7-15mg each, and take one or more throughout the day so I don't get nauseous. I've never experienced a 'copper dump' yet with this approach. I think taking 50mg is a lot, and that should only be for people who don't get a massive backlash of symptoms worsening when they do.