The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Contribution to science of Regius Sir Simon Wessely: a thirty year retrospective

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Daisymay, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

zzz, Dolphin, TreePerson and 5 others like this.
  2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
  3. Countrygirl

UK
    This is the sort of thing we have to thank him for.

https://translate.google.nl/transla...VS_docs-viewpub-tid-1-pid-989.html&edit-text=

4. Countrygirl

UK
    Excellent read!

Thank you Margaret.

It is a shame that we have to wait until after their deaths' for the crimes of the Establishment's abusers to be publically acknowledged.

Daisymay likes this.
  5. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

I’m so glad I live in the United States of America. The country is a royal mess in many ways, but we have not taken ourselves down nearly so far and so fast as the UK. While our NIH was useless (or worse) regarding M.E, Individual doctors such as Derek Enlander were free to develop and prescribe treatments on their own. Ironically, D.E is originally from Ireland.

England was pretty much the birthplace of modern civilization; Magna Carta, Newton, steam engine, Maxwell’s equations, even the beginning of climate science. No more, that England.

Daisymay, TreePerson and Countrygirl like this.
  6. arboretum

arboretum

He doesn't even do research on CFS anymore. Going on about specific (former, in this case) researchers isn't going to achieve anything - it has no effect on convincing the medical community of anything with CFS, and it has no effect on convincing the public of anything. It's a worthless endeavour that has lead nowhere and only discouraged people from researching CFS, and it makes us look petty.

The focus on particular people has only convinced people further that CFS is psychosomatic and that we are crazy. Criticising research is a different matter. You can do that without focusing and hating on people.

When the Norwegian prime minister decided to take some decisive action on CFS, she didn't do that because she disliked specific researchers of CFS, or because people went on about specific researchers of CFS. She did it because she realised CFS was a highly disabling condition for many people, and the whole of society, the government and the medical community hadn't responded to CFS in an appropriate way.

7. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

He's still publishing, and publishing unhelpfully - from the Christmas 2017 issue of the BMJ
    Both paragraphs are basically explicitly 'the brain can make you ill with physical symptoms and doctors should pay attention to this explanation'.

He last published on CFS/ME in Apr 2016, and is actively publishing.
    He has retired many, many times from CFS research - publishing dozens of papers, books, and making interviews stating he's retired due to abuse during the period he has claimed to have retired.

His position makes him unusually credible past the research he does, and until he's actually in a box (through natural causes) he can still do harm.

Countrygirl and Daisymay like this.
  8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Wessely is masterful when it comes to wording and use of language. He has little or no empirical evidence to offer to support his ideas, and he has no credible scientific models or theories to underpin his ideas.

So to hide the fact that he has no evidence or theories to offer, he uses well chosen phrases like "it is increasingly accepted" and "to neglect the power of ideas and ideology, is to misunderstand how our brains work", which he deployed above.

There is no scientific substance whatsoever in what he says, but his phraseology makes it sound like his ideas are science-based.

See more popular forum discussions.