International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Considering flu shot

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by antares4141, Jan 29, 2018.

1. antares4141

antares4141 Senior Member

Truth or consequences, nm
    Patti, you have so much to respond to and I don't have the time right now so I am going to have to come back later.

Can't imagine what having this condition for 45 years would be like. And I have had it for 20! I can really empathize for you.

One of the reasons I keep hanging on is I don't have as much financial strain as most, and I can control my environment somewhat. If I were not able to do that I don't think I would be around right now.

And I am a voice in the darkness, a candle in the dark as Carl Sagan put it. I want to be around to testify to our plight.

I only wish authorities were capable of doing the same, (empathizing) and raising the research funding into CFS so it properly matches the impact it has on it's victims.

I got some other things I want to reply to just don't have the time right now.

hangininthere likes this.
  2. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

I understand what you're trying to say, @ perchance dreamer, but I'm not at all confident even about that.

Have you heard of "Post Polio Fatigue Syndrome"? It is remarkably like CFS/ME and "appears" decades after someone had actually had polio, and had long since fully recovered. It is not that well known, but unlike CFS I don't think that it is at all controversial in medical circles.

There are theories of CFS that speculate that CFS is really Post Polio Fatigue Syndrome, from unknowingly having had a non-paralytic version of the polio virus earlier, maybe decades earlier...or maybe from the polio vaccine itself? I don't think we know enough about the long-term consequences to the human immune system of doing what we are doing with vaccines...and no one seems to have any incentive or interest in knowing any more. The CDC is little more than the marketing arm of the vaccine manufacturers.

antares4141 likes this.
  3. Dodie

Dodie

My husband and I have heard so much about the flu jab. My parents took it every year and they got the flu, so eventually they stopped. I read this just recently.....
    Its a known fact that Flu vaccines contain strains of the flu virus along with other ingredients. Now think about the impact such a vaccine can have over someone with a suppressed immune system? If you have a disease that is already lowering your body’s ability to fight a virus, taking the flu shot will put your body in danger of getting the full effects of the flu and make you more susceptible to pneumonia and other contagious diseases.

The Flu vaccines contain mercury, a heavy metal known to be hazardous for human health. The amount of mercury contained in a multi-dose flu shot is much higher than the maximum allowable daily exposure limit. Mercury toxicity can cause memory loss, depression, ADD, oral health problems, digestive imbalances, respiratory problems, cardiovascular diseases and many more such serious health ailments.
    Last year's (2014 to 2015) flu season was said to be one of the worst in years… and the flu vaccine, widely pushed by public health organizations as the best way to prevent influenza, was a major failure.

erin likes this.
  4. antares4141

I'm at about the same level you were 2 years in. I can do light houshold work, get groceries, prepare meals, but crash if I push myself which is what I always do when I feel well enough. And I have sleep disorders. I was able to keep it somewhat in check by eating at the same times and nothing for the last 6 hours I was awake as well as going to bed at the same time every night but that isn't working anymore which is frustrating. Getting 6 hours of undisturbed sleep seems to really help me when I can do it.

I have had like two or three bad colds with a bad cough in the last 20 years. No fever, hence my wondering if that might stimulate my imune system to recognize what is driving my CFS and eliminate it. Guessing from your experience I would just be miserable for a week and derive no benifit.

That must have sucked.

I think a large part of the benifit is those did did not get infected went on not to infect others. I understand your concern and feel much the same way. I am not going to see my dad until april and starting to think maybe by that point much of the risk will be gone.

Yes, and the small percentage that isn't effective is covered by what is called "herd imunity"

Or maybe damage by something that came and went like "post polio syndrome" which I never heard of until gerald52 inlightend me.

I took a popular antiviral on a couple different occasions and it didn't seem to help. I think it was valtrex. Still have a lot left and tempted all the time to try it again. There is another one with a similar name starts with a v. Many on this list use, name is escaping me. Tried antibiotics also for lyme but only took the course for about three weeks on two different occasions. It seemed to help both times but the effect didn't last.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    hangininthere likes this.
  5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I don't get flu shots, but some clinics offer single-use, thimerosal-free vaccines. They don't have preservatives because they are for only one use.

antares4141 likes this.
  6. antares4141

7. hangininthere

hangininthere

USA
    Yes, I read this recently too. That this year's flu vaccine is now said to be 36% effective instead of the originally predicted 10%.

My sleep is all messed up. I sleep in dribs and drabs, in small increments 24/7.

I gave up trying to be a nighttime sleeper. I just sleep whenever I fall asleep. Which makes it hard for shopping and appointments. Then I just go without sleep, or at least have what I call a few hour 'nap' before I go when I'm lucky to get that much.

Sometimes I sleep non-stop after extra exertion such as shopping and appointments too close together in a week. I can manage once a week, but any more outings than that is too much. Two days ago I slept all day as usual, then slept all night instead of awake all night, then slept all day today. Now I'm awake in middle of night as usual. I would just wake up to use restroom and eat and peruse on computer while I ate, then back to my nap after nap after nap.

I, too, feel a bit better on the rare occasion, about twice a year, when I get a full amount of sleep all at one time.

Yes, I've wondered myself if what I have is damage from the CFS flu/bronchitis I had that started my CFS. I still think it's an active on-going virus though. It feels like it. Like a flu that just won't let up.

I had a bull's-eye rash on the back of my knee three or four years after I first got CFS. I had no additional symptoms, so I wonder about that rash. I just now read on the CDC site that the bull's-eye rash would grow to be 12 inches or larger, and mine was only 2 or 3 inches. I only looked at it once, so don't know if it grew, but don't think it did, surely I would have noticed.

I first got CFS just three months after a big all-day hike in the woods, but never noticed a rash, and no symptoms of illness til three months after. I've never had the symptoms of Lyme. Just symptoms of CFS.

Patti

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    antares4141 likes this.
  8. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
  9. researcher

researcher

My humble opinion is that the only thing flu shots do is to poison the system. They don't even prevent colds. What prevents colds (and a myriad of other things) is (very) high levels of Vitamin D and cat's claw or a similar herb.

See more popular forum discussions.