• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Confusion from a Massachusetts Educator

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Every so often I see a threat topic with the word 'MCAS' in the title, and it always makes me wonder, "Why are people posting about the MCAS here of all places??"

That's because I had never heard of mast cell activation syndrome before. However, I do have a lot of experience with the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System, the standardized test taken by all public school students in the state.

I thought that my confusion might be good for a chuckle.

Interestingly enough, now that I'm reading a little bit about MCAS (the syndrome, not the test), I wonder if my mother might have had it. She had asthma and allergies all her life--nothing terrible, everything under good control. But after a terrible cold followed by a very difficult-to-kick sinus infection lasting for months her immune system just seemed to go wild. For a while anything she put in her mouth (either a pill or food), could set off an allergic (sometimes anaphylactic) response. Once that calmed down, she acquired a lot of brand new food allergies--in the end I think there were only two or three fruits she was able to eat without a problem. It took her a while to realize that some were allergies--for a long time she thought that maybe she had irritable bowel syndrome, but then she realized that her GI symptoms were much better on the days when she didn't eat a banana with breakfast. Does that sound MCAS-ish?

Last edited: