When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Confusion from a Massachusetts Educator

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by RebeccaRe, Feb 16, 2018.

1. RebeccaRe

RebeccaRe Moose Enthusiast

Massachusetts
    Every so often I see a threat topic with the word 'MCAS' in the title, and it always makes me wonder, "Why are people posting about the MCAS here of all places??"

That's because I had never heard of mast cell activation syndrome before. However, I do have a lot of experience with the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System, the standardized test taken by all public school students in the state.

I thought that my confusion might be good for a chuckle.

Interestingly enough, now that I'm reading a little bit about MCAS (the syndrome, not the test), I wonder if my mother might have had it. She had asthma and allergies all her life--nothing terrible, everything under good control. But after a terrible cold followed by a very difficult-to-kick sinus infection lasting for months her immune system just seemed to go wild. For a while anything she put in her mouth (either a pill or food), could set off an allergic (sometimes anaphylactic) response. Once that calmed down, she acquired a lot of brand new food allergies--in the end I think there were only two or three fruits she was able to eat without a problem. It took her a while to realize that some were allergies--for a long time she thought that maybe she had irritable bowel syndrome, but then she realized that her GI symptoms were much better on the days when she didn't eat a banana with breakfast. Does that sound MCAS-ish?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    andyguitar likes this.
  2. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    @RebeccaRe I have no idea about MCAS but I did chuckle about your post. :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

andyguitar, Shoshana and RebeccaRe like this.
  3. Shoshana

Shoshana Northern USA

Northern USA
    That is sort of very funny, and sort of not. :woot::confused:

Funny about the test confusion! :D:lol:

But not funny that your mother went through all of that. :(

BUT very good that you finally sorted out the conundrum! :rofl::thumbsup::rofl:

andyguitar and RebeccaRe like this.
  4. Shoshana

Shoshana Northern USA

Northern USA
    I forgot to say that I , too, have no idea, the answer to your question. ;)

Hopefully someone else will! :)

See more popular forum discussions.