• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Confused on Yasko BCAA recomendation

Bdeep86

Hey All,

I am a bit confused on Dr. Yasko's suggestion that people supplement with BCAA's to balance GABA and Glutamate. It seems that this a precursor for glutamate first. So if most people have issues with glutamate then why would you want to increase that more? Thanks for any feedback.

Valentijn

Hey All,

I am a bit confused on Dr. Yasko's suggestion that people supplement with BCAA's to balance GABA and Glutamate. It seems that this a precursor for glutamate first. So if most people have issues with glutamate then why would you want to increase that more? Thanks for any feedback.
If she doesn't have a good explanation for it, I'd just dismiss it as another Yasko tactic for getting people to buy more of her products. Many of her claims are disputed by the actual published research about the SNPs she tests for, yet she has plenty of expensive things to sell to "treat" them.

My understanding is that BCAAs are nitrogen donors for glutamate but they also donate Nitrogen to GABA. It is currently hypothesized that they help make GABA in the astrocytes through the BCAT isozymes. I'm not a biochemist, so don't know how to explain that, but it seems it makes GABA.

But this article, implies that BCAAs would restore the balance of neural responses {between GABA an glutamate} in the hippocampus often found in TBI.