• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COMT +/+ methylfolate or folic acid?

TheChosenOne

Which one should I take? I have huge problems with methylB12 (unless I take huge amounts of niacinamide) but I never tried methylfolate. Is folic acid a good alternative the same way hydroxyB12 is a good alternative for methylB12?

PeterPositive

You can try taking a small dose of methyl-folate, such as 50-100mcg. And see how it works.
Otherwise folinic acid should work as well. Similarly start low, in the same range, to make sure you don't have any side effects. Folinic acid typically causes less problems.

Folic acid is usually the last resort, in case none of the above works.

cheers

Gondwanaland

My husband is 2x +/+COMT and tried both 100mcg folic acid and 50mcg methylfolate. Folic acid caused him the usual stiffness and lower back pain, and MeFolate caused depression. B2 also caused depression in us both, so now we are working up our copper and manganese levels, since iron is already high. We are feeling better from the low doses of Cu and Mn already (satarted on last Sunday). Our cutomized multimin contains
  • Zn 8mg
  • Cu 600mcg
  • Mn 500mcg
  • Se 80mcg
We had anemia from taking 10mg Zn on its on for too long (him almost 2 months and myself 2 weeks). Zn made us feel terribly achy and week. DH could not get out of bed in the morning and had chronic IBS-D that disappearead on the same day we started the multimin above.

What really helps COMT is magnesium, and DH takes 30mg Mg Glycinate in the evening. He took 100-200mg last year but would always get low BP. I think it already lowered his copper back then. But Mg rescued him from the NSAIDs and pain killers.

I think the reason why B2 and MeFolate cause depression is due to new blood cells synthesis, so if you dont have available copper, there is no way to build new cells. Mind you that potassium is a copper synergist, but cause us low BP. I hope copper will fix that.