• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Hip

I get a boost of energy after taking the 700mg of NAG for 8+ hours until the next dose. Unfortunately at the same time there is a definite increase in anxiety and brain fog.

That's definitely the first time I have come across that reaction to NAG, actually increasing anxiety.

But all is not lost, as you can consider trying some of the other anti-anxiety supplements in my list of 29. These are also quite effective, I found. Depending on the severity of your anxiety, you may need to take several of these supplements together for additive effect. The supplements in the first two blocks in that list are the most potent.

Last edited:
I found flaxseed oil to cause me insomnia when taken too late in the day. I solved this simply taking it first thing in the morning so you might want to try that, it may take 2 or 3 days to get used to that though.

I didnt have any issue with 750mg of NAG (Swanson brand).

About to try low dose pregabalin, see if I can mop up some of this glutamate which I think is the cause of my issues. It was actually this thread helpfully started by hip way back that got me on that track and I've really narrowed it down now.

Hey @Hip as always there are no words to describe help and support from each and every member of this lovely forum and I would like to extend my gratitude to you for all your great threads/posts on this amazing forum. Simply outstanding. This forum has given me a hope to live with debilitating symptoms of this life changing condition. With regards to neuroinflammation I would like to know whether without compromising blood brain barrier can neuroinflammation be driven by decreased vagus nerve activity which in turn could be influenced by mucosal lining dysfunction or altered metabolites produced by microbiota when consuming triggering food or exposed to any other stressors? And can you please suggest ways to increase my energy levels as I fall asleep again and again and get tired easily after doing minor physical (like taking shower and after BM) or minor mental activity. It would be of great help. I have tried BCAA, CQ10 NAC (helps for 30 mins), rutin, quercetin, L glutamine, magnesium malic acid (gastric irritant for me) etc. but nothing really helps. I have severe fatigue, depression, delayed sleep or hypersomnia, anxiety, severe shaking of leg while thinking, acid reflux, delayed gastric motility, pain almost in entire body, burning in legs/arms.

Regards,
Np

Hip

This forum has given me a hope to live with debilitating symptoms of this life changing condition.

Yes what would we do without this forum!

With regards to neuroinflammation I would like to know whether without compromising blood brain barrier can neuroinflammation be driven by decreased vagus nerve activity which in turn could be influenced by mucosal lining dysfunction or altered metabolites produced by microbiota when consuming triggering food or exposed to any other stressors?

Inflammation in the gut or other organs is now know to ramp up inflammation in the brain. So if you can reduce gut inflammation, you may reduce brain inflammation also. Things like probiotics and prebiotics, and also Saccharomyces boulardii can help reduce intestinal inflammation.

And can you please suggest ways to increase my energy levels as I fall asleep again and again and get tired easily after doing minor physical (like taking shower and after BM) or minor mental activity.

That's unfortunately normal in ME/CFS for minor physical and mental exertion to cause rapid tiring and often post-exertional malaise (PEM). Som people have reported benefits with these PEM buster supplements, but generally ME/CFS patients have to be careful to avoid too much exertion, as it often causes these adverse effects.

@Hip Thanks and as always no words to describe your contribution to this community. Selfless community like this and all its members are great source of optimism for many spoonies who are devastated physically, mentally and most importantly financially by this horrible condition. My love to all the wonderful and helpful members of this community. Special thanks to @Sushi as well for outstanding and amazing work she is doing as a forum administrator. God Bless and I hope all the subsets of ME/CFS sufferers find their root cause and get cured soon. I also pray Dr. Ron and his team soon find some breakthrough that can help solve ME/CFS mystery.

Regards,
Np

dreampop

@Hip Just out of curiousity, how does your anxiety respond to cold exposure. I have some issues in this area, and the best non-pharamceutical thing I can do is cold exposure via a cold shower or reducing body temp as best i can. This always surprises me by how much it helps, altought it's not as useful in the longterm (although I haven't tried daily cold showers).

Traditional anti-anxiety things haven't helped me as much, and supplements not at all, although I have not tried NAD due to a shellfish allergy. I probably will in the future.

Hip

@Hip Just out of curiousity, how does your anxiety respond to cold exposure. I have some issues in this area, and the best non-pharamceutical thing I can do is cold exposure via a cold shower or reducing body temp as best i can.

I don't think I have ever tested cold showers as an anxiety treatment. But as for the "wired" overstimulated mental state of ME/CFS (which I think may be related to the anxiety symptoms, in that I suspect both may be due to high brain glutamate), I find the "wired" state tends to melt away with a long hot bath.

Archie

What comes first to my mind when people talk about the "wired " feeling is copper unbalance, or copper toxicity where can have wrong metallic type copper , it might be just copper dysregulation issue also ? But it`s also known that as copper is itself anti-inflammatory substance, body start to increase it in blood to combat inflammation, that`s why measuring body copper status from blood can be misleading if as body uses copper for trying calm down something . Maybe the wired feeling comes just from elevated copper in blood ? There is interesting form of copper, Copper Tripeptide GHK-Cu ,

https://www.prime-journal.com/copper-tripeptide-1-growth-factor-uses-in-aesthetic-medicine/

Good to know N-acetyl-glucosamine and whole turmeric are good to anxiety , i used just curcumin supplements without knowing that whole turmeric has also other good substances

Last edited:

frederic83

Just out of curiousity, how does your anxiety respond to cold exposure. I have some issues in this area, and the best non-pharamceutical thing I can do is cold exposure via a cold shower or reducing body temp as best i can. This always surprises me by how much it helps, altought it's not as useful in the longterm (although I haven't tried daily cold showers).

Traditional anti-anxiety things haven't helped me as much, and supplements not at all, although I have not tried NAD due to a shellfish allergy. I probably will in the future.

Cold Bath helped me a lot for anxiety. I think I took 1 bath (10 min in a 10 °C water) a day; 5 days in a row, and I was much better. It never came back.

dreampop

Cold Bath helped me a lot for anxiety. I think I took 1 bath (10 min in a 10 °C water) a day; 5 days in a row, and I was much better. It never came back.

It calms down the flight or figth responses, and induces vasoconstriction getting more blood and oxygen to the brain.

I found cold showers helped my CFS marginally if done every day instead of a normal hot shower, but not enough to continue.

perchance dreamer

TMG was too stimulating for me. I use DMG instead, both as a methyl donor and for calming.

One doctor I go to recommends trying TMG first, and another prefers patients first trying DMG. It might take some experimenting to figure out which is more helpful.

Rufous McKinney

I find my sinusitis / nasal congestion gets rapidly cleared within an hour or so of taking NAG

So laughing here because I visited this some time ago, purchased the recommended anxiety triple improvements, and then proceed to : Not Deploy That.

Husband drank the Flax seed oil. I stockpiled the NAG for: some other day.

the tumeric: I intended to get that happening in the food by making a dressing type thing to dribble on stuff (a friend made such a thing, and I need her recipe).

I am going to now deploy NAG and report back on sinus. Each day as I run down, my nose feels like it has cloth pin on it, its very distinct, strong when I lay down. So I personally KNOW that this corresponds with the nearby inflammed lower brainstem area- residing nearby.

So I should be able to discern sinus improvement, at least in this body, and will report. I have no congestion. Its swollen in there.

Rufous McKinney

I am going to now deploy NAG and report back on sinus

Reporting: improvement in sinus inflammation from about three weeks of taking NAG (1/ 750 mg). Eye inflammation reduced also. This is excellent news here.

I have already eliminated most foods that may be adding to inflammation (sugars refined carbs)

Gradually doing better Yay.