• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Complete Symptom Relief and CFS Remission Since Starting Nitric Oxide Supplement

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Vasodilator will help ease symptoms but it wont boost No2.
Increasing no2 intake will cover both bases.
POTS is lack of vasodilatory control....another symptom of poor NO2 status.

I have NMH and thought that that was failure to vasoconstrict, so I'd be worried about taking something that would be a vasodilator (in fact I'd just be plain worried, because I don't have a clue about physiology!).

Bit worried that people in the wrong subgroup might do themselves a mischief with this.

Delighted that you've had such success, though - congratulations! :trophy::thumbsup:

Lynn

I thought that NO2 was a bad thing for ME/CFS based on the work by Martin Pall. How does this fit in? Isn't the Arginine AKG producing more NO2 in the body creating more oxidization?

Lynn

gregh286

Thanks so much for letting us know @gregh286.

I fit your profile: saunas and hot baths and alcohol give me temporary relief from symptoms. I'm going to try the product and will let you know how it goes.

Edit: okay just had a look at the product and I'm worried about the arginine. When I took arginine a few years ago had a herpes flare within 24 hours. This is very rare for me, so have stayed away from arginine since then. I suppose I could load up on lysine and lysine rich foods and stay away from arginine rich foods if I do take this product.

Greg, can you tell me more about the arginine in this product?
Hi helen.
I never had herpes...so avoid this issue.
Not sure about the type of.arginine....except what it says on the label. Arginine akg.

gregh286

@gregh286

Thanks for posting this, Greg.

I was wondring - has it had any effect on your cognitive function?

Totally. Razor sharp now. You feel it most in conversation. You can respond very quickly. I can hold conversation now unlimited. As we all now in cfs talking is a massive energy.drain
When youre in full blown cfs mode your brain reaction time is so slow.

sarah darwins

JaimeS

Low asymmetric dimethylarginine would mean higher NO, since ADMA interferes with L-arginine in the production of nitric oxide.

It's created during the process of protein methylation -- the methyl groups come from SAMe. I wonder why PWME have trouble generating that? ;)

-J

Dufresne

almost there...
Congrats on your success!

It's interesting you hit on so many keywords for me (norepinephrine, arginine, vasoconstriction, taurine, etc), yet I seem to have the opposite problem.

I've circulatory issues that are helped by vasoconstrictors. It seems norepinephrine is key. Also my ADH (vasopressin) has been off the charts. And yet I've just started supplementing with arginine. According to Stephen Buhner it can help normalize endothelial function that becomes compromised by certain infections that target these cells. Supplementation aids in eradicating the infection. I'm wondering if the infection may explain why I have the problems with vasoconstriction that I do. I take the arginine right before bed so as to not have to contend with the low BP symptoms.

I've not noticed any worsening in my oxidative stress since starting the arginine. The Pall theory was something I was concerned about.

Also Jay Goldstein often used NO therapeutically in ME/CFS patients with apparently great success. Interestingly he always saw vasoconstriction in brain MRI's when a patient was responding to such a treatment. Counter-intuitive, isn't it?

Incidentally garlic is another strong vasodilator. I find it's just as effective as arginine.

Not sure how taurine factors in but I take it to stop my heart from hiccuping.

gregh286

Congrats on your success!

It's interesting you hit on so many keywords for me (norepinephrine, arginine, vasoconstriction, taurine, etc), yet I seem to have the opposite problem.

I've circulatory issues that are helped by vasoconstrictors. It seems norepinephrine is key. Also my ADH (vasopressin) has been off the charts. And yet I've just started supplementing with arginine. According to Stephen Buhner it can help normalize endothelial function that becomes compromised by certain infections that target these cells. Supplementation aids in eradicating the infection. I'm wondering if the infection may explain why I have the problems with vasoconstriction that I do. I take the arginine right before bed so as to not have to contend with the low BP symptoms.

I've not noticed any worsening in my oxidative stress since starting the arginine. The Pall theory was something I was concerned about.

Also Jay Goldstein often used NO therapeutically in ME/CFS patients with apparently great success. Interestingly he always saw vasoconstriction in brain MRI's when a patient was responding to such a treatment. Counter-intuitive, isn't it?

Incidentally garlic is another strong vasodilator. I find it's just as effective as arginine.

Not sure how taurine factors in but I take it to stop my heart from hiccuping.

Internet littered with taurine effects on vasodilation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23392950
http://www.nutri-spec.net/articles/taurine.html

Last edited:

deleder2k

Fluge and Mella used 2 times a day 5 gram L-arginine and 200 mg L-Citrulline in patiënts and it helped as good as Rituximab in some patiënts. I think POTS patiënts with high or normal bloodpressure can try this also. A subgroup will benefit from this.

"as good as Rituximab"? Do you have a source on that? The only thing I've read is that they have tried out isosorbide mononitrate with good effect in a few patients. They suggest in their patent application for nitric oxide donor that L-arginine in the dosing regime you mentioned could also be a possibility.

Do you know more? :)