• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Complain PCC Rod Liddle, Pretend disabled really ARE sick Sun, 26 Jan 2012

drjohn

PERMISSION TO FORWARD AND RE-POST ON OTHER FORUMS, SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES AND USE IN NEWSLETTERS. PLEASE TWEET AND RE-TWEET ON TWITTER.

This is my e-mail to the Press Complaints Commission, which model anyone may copy OR (not both) sign a petition, which I have started but not signed to avoid double counting my name (Short ink: http://tinyurl.com/6np9h6m for http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/co...bled-really-are-sick-the-sun-26-january-2012/).

Re, Rod Liddle, Pretend disabled really ARE sick (The Sun, 26 January 2012)

"I understand that you already have received more than 100 complaints about Rod Liddle's article,Pretend disabled really ARE sick in The Sun, 26 January 2012. Please add my name to the list.

Since I know that this figure will grossly underestimate the actual number of people offended and distressed because an estimated 25% are so severely affected as to be housebound or bedridden that they may be unaware the offence was committed and, of the remainder, the majority will not have sufficient energy to write.

I have, therefore, initiated two mutually exclusive choices to redress the balance: (1) suggest that people affected by M.E., or their carers, e-mail or write to you with the standard two opening lines I have sent to you. Please do not take this to be laziness but some compensation for their extreme lack of energy; OR (not both) (2) sign a petition, I have started but not signed to avoid double counting. This includes people from outside the UK, who are nevertheless affected by International broadcasting, whether you would normally regard them within your remit.

Yours sincerely
drjohngreensmith@mecommunitytrust.org
Dr John H Greensmith
M.E. Community Trust.org

Please take action now, one way or another (but not both please, to avoid double counting):

In writing

Press Complaints Commission
Halton House
20/23 Holborn
London EC1N 2JD

or by e-mail complaints@pcc.org.uk

On the envelope, or in the subject line write, Re: Rod Liddle, Pretend disabled really ARE sick (The Sun, 26 January 2012)

OR (not both, remember)

Sign the petition:

"We urge the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) to condemn the work of Rod Liddle (Pretend disabled really ARE sick, The Sun, 26 January 2012), in particular and the principle of sadistic, inaccurate, portrayals of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and its sufferers, in general, in the hope of deterring this unpleasant journalism."

Click Short ink: http://tinyurl.com/6np9h6m

Please do it now to avoid being grossly misrepresented.

Best wishes
John
drjohngreensmith@mecommunitytrust.org
Dr John H Greensmith
M.E. Community Trust.org

drjohn

Thanks Min,

Now more than 450 signatures.

Be assured that we shall pursue this and, equally offensive nasty pieces of work, relentlessly, wherever we find them.

Can I appeal for one more push before we submit this to them.

Best wishes
John

drjohn

504 have now signed to that effect, Sian. Imagine how many more would not have the strength to pick up the paper in which he insulted them. Cheers, John.

Min

The PCC have now replied to our complaints *sigh*:

http://www.pcc.org.uk/news/index.html?article=NzgxMA

Complainant Name:
Resolved - UK Fibromyalgia & ME Association v The Sun

Clauses Noted: 1, 12

Publication: The Sun

Complaint:

The Press Complaints Commission received 164 complaints from individuals who were concerned that the newspaper had published a comment piece that made a number of inaccurate assertions about medical conditions such as ME and fibromyalgia in breach of Clause 1 (Accuracy) of the Editors' Code. The alleged errors related to the history of the conditions and the severity of symptoms. The ME Association and UK Fibromyalgia were selected as lead complainants and additional concerns were raised that the column was prejudicial and pejorative in breach of Clause 12 (Discrimination).

Resolution:
The newspaper argued that under the terms of the Code, its columnist was permitted to express his personal opinion about the nature of the medical conditions in question. However, the newspaper accepted that contrasting views on the matter existed and should be aired. While the complainants considered that the columnist should have offered an apology, the complaint was resolved following the publication of a number of critical letters from readers (including the ME Association) and a follow-up feature on ME and fibromyalgia which provided factual information about the conditions and highlighted appropriate case studies.

Date Published: 02/05/2012

here's the disgusting article:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=10323

Calathea

It's the PCC, what did you expect? You should see what the press gets away with when it comes to religious-based homophobia.

Enid

Who is this Rod Liddle - another pretend medic - rather jumped up journalist bending to whoever pays his bills or pops down to the pub with him.